How to Make Drop Cloth Curtains

$15

Who knew that drop cloths, at one time used only for protection from paint spills, could be used for so much around the house? Canvas drop cloths can be used to make a variety of crafts and home decor. For this post, I will show you how simple it is to make curtains out of drop cloths.Before adding the drop cloth curtains, pallet curtain rods and tie-up shades, our living room bay window was very sad sporting those cheap paper shades sold at home improvement stores.
No worries if you are new to sewing. This is a great beginner sewing project to learn and practice sewing skills. I had to dust off my sewing machine since this was my first sewing project since ahem...Home Ec class 7th grade. If you don't own a sewing machine then use fabric tape in place of all the sewing. *Make sure to wash your drop cloths before measuring and sewing, as they shrink significantly during washing and drying. If possible hang your curtains from the actual curtain rings to get your measurements or measure as best you can for curtain length. Make sure to measure for how you want your curtains to meet the floor; to hover, to kiss or to puddle. It may be helpful to use a clothespin to help hold the fabric while you measure.
Double-check your measurements and remove the curtains from the rings, rod, etc. I also recommend labeling each curtain panel, for easy reference by writing on a piece of tape.  
Although you pinned for the total curtain length, it's at the double folded hem where the sewing will take place or where you will apply your fabric tape. You will cut off all the excess fabric when you cut for the double folded hem in the next step.What is a Double Folded Hem?A double folded hem is folding the fabric twice then securing the fold in place. This creates a much cleaner hem than a single folded hem, as it hides unsightly crooked cuts.Measure and mark for your double folded hem then cut any excess fabric. 
The amount of fabric you leave for a double folded hem is up to you; mine ended up being about 3 inches wide. Pin the double folded hem, iron and sew it in place.
Then sew both bottom side edges.
If you aren't sewing, then apply fabric tape instead for the double folded hem and edges. Apply fabric tape with an iron in place of where the thread would normally go when sewing. If you find that the fabric tape can't hold the double folded hem then use a single folded hem. Once all the sewing is complete, iron the drop cloth curtains. It seems impossible to remove every wrinkle but you should be able to get most of them out. Finally, hang the curtains up. I hung my curtains up from my DIY Pallet Curtain Rod. 
Here is the whole bay window completed after my three projects.
My 7th grade Home Ec teacher would be so proud! 
If you loved this post then check out these Pallet Curtain Rods I used to hang these drop cloth curtains and these DIY Tie-Up Shades.
Thanks for reading this post and come say hi to me at my website below!
Happy DIYing,
Tiffany

15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
Tiffany from Dream Design DIY