Bathroom Update

$2000
Advanced

So a couple months back I painted our bathroom vanity Benjamin Moore Hale Navy and switched out the mirror. Several weeks later we found a leak in our garage, and realized it was coming from the same bathroom. There was a hairline crack in the tub. We had to replace the tub and so I couldn’t decide if we should repair the tub (and risk it leaking again) and save money or replace the whole unit. We finally decide to replace the unit. Then I couldn’t decide if I just wanted to do the same white fiberglass unit or get a tub and put subway tile around it. After doing a poll on Instagram, I decided to do the white subway tile. My husband cut out the old unit and put in a ReBath tub and then we subbed out the subway tile. Then my husband put the fixtures back on. I love the way it turned out!
1 Before
2 The poll I took on Instagram.
3 Another poll I did
4 Trying to decide on what subway tile to choose
6 Working on the tile
7 continued
8 continued
9 Done with the tile, need to install fixtures
10 Installed handheld and other fixtures

• Wandamurline

Did you use some kind of waterproofing on the walls before installing the tiles....the grout is porous and will leak at some point behind the tiles over time.

• Mary McDonald

We had ours ripped out and replaced also. They put a big green water board on the walls before tiling.

• Dawn Russell

Can you tell us how your husband removed the old tub? I’m wanting to install a shower to replace the tub, but can’t figure out how to remove the old one. It looks just like yours.

• Robert Wilson

I am a handyman do this type of work all the time. the shower tub looks like its just fiberglass just use a Reciprocating Saw, to cut the tub ,if the tub is cast iron then the older one’s can be broken up with a sledgehammer or Home Depot sells a heavy metal cutting blade for your Skil saw or your Reciprocating saw

• Christine Lalande

It sort of is about asking what I could do to upgrade the look of our bath wall tiles at a very low cost; can I paint these? Is it feasible to do so by applying a sealant over after? Would it "stick"? I was thinking of just giving a thorough cleaning to clean the grout especially and then add a small pattern or string design to beauty up the blandness of the wall but only on a few of the tiles. We rent at the moment so we are limited in what we can do since I personally was hoping for a tub surround...