Vintage Wash Stand Makeover

$35

I got this cool vintage wash stand a few months ago and have been trying to figure out what to do with it. I finally decided to give it a paint job and use it as a plant stand!
I started by cleaning the entire piece. It didn't need any sanding because there was no shiny finish on it at all and I will also be using a chalk style paint that requires little to no prep. Easy peasy!
Next I gathered my supplies. I will be using Folk Art Home Decor paint, a couple different brushes, a fine mist spray bottle, wax, and a wax brush.
I love this flat and wide synthetic brush for quickly and evenly applying my base coat. It's also great when used with the mister and a light touch on the finish coat to help minimize brush marks.
After the first coat, I decided to try and blend another color in for a layered look.
I used my fine mister and a French tip brush to blend a lighter color on certain spots. I also used this brush with the base color to get into all the nooks and crannies that my other brushes don't easily reach.
I always try to do my blending before the first coat is completely dry. Using the mister helps to reactivate the base coat and blend the two colors without harsh lines.
After playing with it a bit I decided that while I do like the two colors together I'm going to end up going with a more subtle and muted look. I simply went over the spots I didn't like with a little more of the base coat color until I was happy with the results.
Once the paint was completely dry finished the entire piece with a coat of clear wax. I usually let the wax dry overnight before buffing it out. If you want a distressed look, I've found it's best to distress with a sanding sponge before applying your wax. I decided to not distress this piece.
I found a pot that fits well in the hole but I'm not sure if I'm liking the colors together so I might end up painting the pot or finding something else. You could also create this look by cutting a hole in a side table! I really planned on creating a fun finish with different colors but in the end I really liked the simple look for this smaller piece. Feel free to check out my instagram for lots of fun and funky finishes and follow me here for more fun stuff as well!

To see more: //instagram.com/beautymark_furniture