DIY Raised Pet Food Storage

$20

Steph needed a better solution to storing and accessing food for her dog, Mac. The container that held it was not the most attractive, and sat on the floor. Her idea was to hide the food container and to bring it up to a more comfortable height.This idea is adaptable for your pet's food storage needs.
Please take a few minutes to watch the video. You can see the tool list as well as the full written tutorial on our website.
Before the build, the food was sitting on the floor so Steph had to bend down to access it, as well as keeping Mac out while she prepared her food. Steph knew there had to be a better solution.
We are using flooring planks that we had on hand, a scrap piece of plywood, and these wood dowels. We also purchased hardware, including hinges and appliance casters. This could be made with plywood cut to your specifications.
The first step was to cut all the planks to size. We are making four sides, a top and bottom, and door front. Steph carefully labeled everything to keep the parts organized.
Working with one labeled pile at a time, we used wood glue to glue the planks to each other. We clamped everything in place and waited 24 hours for the glue to dry.
After the panels were dry, we started to assemble. Check out the video to see this come together. The wood dowels are glued into place to add structural strength to the unit. The bottom is recessed slightly to allow room for the appliance casters. The scrap plywood was cut to size and glued into place for the shelf that separates food storage from general pet supply storage.
To give additional strength to the shelf, we added a couple of screws from the outside into the edge of the shelf. This is the only place where we added additional screws. Everything else is just assembled with wood glue.
We added hinges and a latch to the bottom portion which will now be enclosed storage. We also finished the top with hinges and wood trim which we attached with Surebonder construction adhesive hot glue. In this picture, you can see the orange of the appliance casters. These were simply glued into place.
The appliance casters in place. These casters are designed for forward and back movement which is what Steph needed.
Moment of truth--will the unit hold 40 pounds of dog food and function as designed? Yes! Bonus, the bottom portion holds dog supplies that were stored in a five gallon bucket before.
Now food can be reached without bending over and the dog stays out of the container while it's open! No more greyhound nosing around!
"But I liked getting into the food!" Mac is not impressed...
Finally, we ordered this cute greyhound wrapping paper and added it to the inside of the top for a pop of color. The cutout on the front is painted with DecoArt matte metallic in amethyst. It is also attached with the Surebonder construction adhesive hot glue. The unit easily rolls forward and back to access the food.

Mother Daughter Projects

• Lillyrose

Where did you get the original container. I have been looking in every store I go into, and am having trouble finding a tall container, but one that is not so large around.

• Kalecia

I've heard that PetSmart will price match items found on Chewie.com. just FYI

• Sonia

What is the measurements?

• Sue hallman

Hi from Sue at Alabama Greyhound Adoption Center. Love this idea.

Going to try it

• Lillyrose

Thanks to all of you who directed me to places to get a container. I found a small plastic bin that holds Christmas wrapping paper. I can turn the lid upside down to hold scoops or other necessities. It seals really well.

• Roberta

After I do my kitchen floor I'll have left over material so I will be building this project thank you