How to Make a Balloon Garland Like a Pro

$25

A balloon garland is a classic party decor that seems like only a pro could put together. Today I will show you that it isn’t so! Balloon garlands are easy to put together, fun and will bring life to your party decor.
Last week I posted about  how to make a rustic grazing table  with delicious nuts, berries and breads. Grazing tables are so gorgeous and dramatic on their own so I knew I wanted decor to match that intensity.
A fun and energetic balloon garland was the first thing that came to mind. It adds a certain playfulness but still has the presence of a serious piece of decor and adding greenery or flowers makes it even more beautiful.
To be honest, I was initially nervous about making the balloon garland. It seems so professional and I just assumed it was hard to put together. After a little bit of research I found the secret. Balloon Decorative Strip. This stuff is gold, you guys! Basically, it a a plastic strip that has spaced holes to attach the balloons too. Genius! This stuff will make your life so much easier and I will never make a balloon garland without it.
Okay, so before we get started decide where you want the balloon garland to live. I chose to make mine into a perfect arch and I wanted it in an open space so I used rebar pounded into the ground and PVC pipe to create the arch. If you plan to attach it to a wall, you won’t need the PVC pipe. Instead you can use tacks, tape or command hooks to attach it to the wall or string to hang it from the ceiling.
Start by measuring the area where your balloon garland will go and cut the PVC pipe and balloon strip to length. If you are creating an arch be sure to measure how long the pipe needs to be to make the arch. Measure twice, cut once! If you are attaching to a wall, simply measure the length.
To create a garland that has some movement, thread the jewelry wire through the small holes on the balloon strip. This is especially nice if you are attaching it to a wall and you want to change up the shape.Attached the balloon strip onto the PVC pipe using small pieces of the wire wrapped around spacing them about every foot.
Note: Make sure to cut, bend or put a piece of tape over the tails of the wire so it doesn’t pop any of your balloons.
Once the balloon strip is secured to the PVC pipe you can start attaching the balloons. If you are attaching the garland to a wall or hanging, I would make the balloon garland first and then set it up.
Blow up the balloons and attach them to the balloon strip by putting the tail of the balloon through the hole. I did not use a balloon pump and I didn’t feel like I needed one for my size of garland. Plus, I had a helper (that’s what husbands are for, right?) If you are going to make a really large garland, save your breath (literally) and get a  balloon pump.
It was a little difficult to get the balloon tail through the hole especially with more and more balloons being added. Next time I do this, I will use something like tweezers to grab the balloon tail because using just my fingers was a bit difficult.
Attach as many balloons as you can through the holes on the balloons strip. Use different sizes of balloons and if using more than one color, be sure to mix the colors evenly.
Once you have attached as many balloons as you can, step back and look at your garland. If you see any spaces that show the balloon strip use double sided tape and a few smaller balloons to fill in any spaces.
Lastly, slide the greenery or flowers into the balloon garland evenly throughout. I simply slid mine in between the balloons and they stayed just fine, I didn’t need to tape them in place.
That’s it! Not only is it easy to make but it is actually pretty sturdy. Mine sat outside for a few hours and did just fine in the wind. Be sure to check out  how to put together a rustic grazing table which was the whole reason I made this balloon garland. They look so elegant and fun over a party bar, buffet or a present table.

Kaylene

• Lois Gross

What is the jewelry wire used for?

• Kaylene

Hi Lois! I wanted the balloon strip to be a little bendable and it helped it from sagging. I’ll update the post with a little more explanation on this. Thanks!

• GBK

How did you get the PVC to bend, and what diameter was it, 1 inch? How did you figure out what length to buy to create the size arch you wanted? How tall is your arch from it's highest point to the ground?

• Heje

How is the arch of pvc attached to the ground?

• Kaylene

Hi Heje, The PVC pipe is attached with two rebar that are stuck in the ground on either side of the table.

• Mariquita.

I love it !! I will definitely make it this year for my triplets grandchildren 6 birthday my daughter will love it too.

you make it looks so easy!! Thank you so much for this wonderful and beautiful idea .👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

• Donna

Loved this, I design wedding and special occasion cakes and like to show off my tables and these are soooo expensive to buy. Awesome thanks for sharing

• Kaylene

Thanks Donna! It's the best when you can make decor on a dime!