Asked on Jan 4, 2020

How can I repair a dimmer switch that is makign a buzzing noise?

LindaKmdreamerFlipturn
+10

I installed a a Lutron Maestro C.L Dimmer Switch for Dimmable LED, Halogen & Incandescent Bulbs (says "Works with up to 150 Watts of dimmable LED/CFL bulbs or 600 Watts of Incandescent/Halogen bulbs.")I hear a BUZZING sound, and it does get lower based on dimmer settings, but is contant.The Light is a Contemporary LED Chandelier (Miseno or like LED Chandelier.ANy thoughts what is causing the buzzing? I'veexperienced this years ago at another house and don't recall what the issue was.

• Deb K

Hi Jim, I found this little blurb, hope it helps you

When LEDs are used on a dimming control, depending on the design of the bulb, they can produce high current spikes. These high spikes may cause the bulbs or the dimmer itself to produce an audible buzz or hum

• JimG

Thank you! I learned the type of light is "Dimmable: Dimmable LED (15% - 100%) with ELV - Electric Low Voltage Dimmers (Dimmer is not included with the fixture)

Only compatible with ELV dimmers. WiFi, Smart, and Universal dimmers are NOT compatible"

https://www.build.com/vonn-vmc32410/s1211530?uid=2896528

• Johnavallance82

Hello there,

Sounds as if it could be shorting out. Check the wiring!!

• Hi, JimG!

You are probably on the right track about a compatibility issue, but I also agree with the suggestion to check the wiring. something could be touching inside the box that shouldn't be... I hope this helps!

• JimG

Meant to reply. I did check the wiring.. all secured and I also taped up the connections in additon to the screw caps. Still buzzed. Just a factor of not compatible wiith ELV (Electriconic Low Voltage). Thanks for your note. I used to ALWAYS wrap connections with Electric tape on top of the screws for my peace of mind, and your note remoneded me to go back to that.

• Dee

I would change out the switch, you do not want an electrical fire in the house.

• JimG

Yup! Done. tried wrapping with Electric tape 1st to see, but decided to just change the switch out. (I'll search for ELV switches that are compatible. the Company selling the light don;t have NAY RECOMMENDED switches, ONLY ELV.

• Flipturn

What is the total wattage from all the bulbs in the fixture?

Does it exceed the max of 150 recommended for the dimmer switch?

• JimG

Hi, No. SPECS are: (83 Watts total)

• Dimmable: Dimmable LED (15% - 100%) with ELV - Electric Low Voltage Dimmers (Dimmer is not included with the fixture)
      • Only compatible with ELV dimmers. WiFi, Smart, and Universal dimmers are NOT compatible
      • Soft White: 3000 Kelvin color temperature
      • Brightness: 2780 lumens
      • Efficiency: 83 watts total consumption

Thank you.

• Kmdreamer

Check to see if the wires are on good