Asked on Jan 4, 2020

How can I update this moss rock fireplace?

SharonWilliamJohnavallance82
+7

Looking for some advice on A way to design anew updated look with keeping some Rock exposed. Be grateful if anyone has any suggestions!

• Hi Wendy, beautiful fireplace. You could add a wooden mantle or you could add a solid stone slab on the hearth...or both. We have a very similar stone and a simple mantle if you want to peek. https://www.exquisitelyunremarkable.com/2016/09/romantic-fall-table-setting-for-two.html

• Wendy

Thank you Kim- I did love the idea of a mantle until my hubby put up a giant tv but you may have something there with adding a stone slab. Something for me to check out! And Your fireplace looks very charming!!

• I definitely think it needs a mantle. It could be stained wood or painted white to match the cabinetry on either side of the fireplace.

• Mogie

My dad has the same fireplace. We have talked about white washing it. That would make your stove and tv stand out more. The degree of whitewashing is a personal choice. But would be nice to let some variation in the stone show thru.

• Megan

I think a mantle is a great idea and painting it white! Or a white wash!

• Jessica @ The Martin Nest

You can limewash it (A company called Romabio sells A DIY product with varying shades). The nice thing about the limewash is that you can still remove it for the first 2-3 days if you decide you don't like the look.

• Karen Chaffee

Have you thought about a painted mantel surrounding the insert, would look classy painted white to match your built in shelving and would work if you are looking to break up the stone work. By the way, the stone work is very pretty, this would just give you a whole new look, traditional meets rustic.

• Johnavallance82

Hello there Wendy,

Have it partially rendered (making peep holes of Stone) , or Clad some of it with timber? Add a Mantel Shelf with heavy wedge Brackets across between the fire and the TV. Add Oblong open box frame SHELVES EITHER SIDE OF THE tv. Render the wall above a Mantel shelf. Enjoy solving the problem, as some folk would like the problem you have...............

I agree with a slab on the hearth with a 1" overhang. There is room for a wood mantle shelf. A nice rough hewn chunky one. The stones are pretty light so you can leave them or just a light sponge whitewash.

• Sharon

I would get a mason's grouting bag and fill in all those voids between the rocks with a grout or cement product. Then give it a German Schmear technique to partially cover the rocks as you desire......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En739D8Dqcs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBQFvb-5xVo use a damp sponge, wire or coarse brush to remove excess mortar