Winter Succulent Decor

$30.00

Did you decorate with pine cones for the holidays? Now you can use them to create beautiful succulent arrangements to hang in your windowsill during the winter months!

I had so much fun creating these for myself and for gifts! This is an easy an inexpensive project, and when winter is over the succulents can be potted up and placed outside. I got a variety of succulent cuttings from my friends at Harddy Succulents - if you go to my Instagram page @jagcagdesign, you will find a link to Harddy with a 5% off coupon. Rosette type succulents and delicate hanging succulents (like String of Pearls) work well for this project.

Tools and Materials

• pine cones
  • succulents
  • screws
  • twine
  • cup
  • hot glue
  • moss

Attach Twine to the Pine Cone
Attach Twine to the Pine Cone

The first thing I did was drive a screw into the pine cone and tie a long length of twine around it. Be sure to leave the twine nice and long so that you will have lots of options for hanging your pine cone at different lengths.

DIY Pine Cone Decor

Tip: I was able to hang my pine cones from a tree branch while I worked on them, but if you do not have a branch, you can rest your pine cone in a cup or glass to hold it upright.

Glue Moss to the Pine Cone
Glue Moss to the Pine Cone

Next, I used a hot glue gun to add a little bit of moss to the pine cone. I used assorted mosses - Sphagnum moss (ordered online), and other mosses that I gathered in the forest. Don't put too much moss in at the start, as you will want to leave room for the succulents. You will add more moss later.

Glue on Succulents
Glue on Succulents

Next, I used a small amount of glue on the backs of the succulents and tucked them into the pine cone here and there. I used low temp hot glue, but you could also use Tacky Glue. Then I went back and tucked in more moss to fill in any "holes". The moss will hold the moisture for the succulents, so once you have most of your succulents tucked in, surround them with more moss.

DIY Pine Cone Succulent Decor

That's it! You can mist your succulents with water once a week, or as needed depending on your climate. I had so much fun using different sized pine cones. I had some really large Sugar Pine Cones, which I experimented with (hung different directions), and some smaller cones that are more readily available at craft stores, especially during the holidays. I think it would also look lovely to have pine cones just laying on a table with succulents & moss tucked into them - they don't have to hang! (Hmmmm... that might be my next project! The big Sugar Pine Cones would look amazing on their sides!)

Homemade Pine Cone Succulent Decor

When the warmer weather comes around, you can gently remove the succulents from the pine cones, pot them, and put them in a sunny windowsill or outside. If you make these, please share a pic - I would love to see!Happy DIYing! xo, Jamey @jagcagdesign

30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips

• Cheryl
    Cheryl

I'm assuming that gluing in the succulents does not kill them? Did you use a low temp glue? These are very pretty and so unique. Great housewarming gift idea!

• Terri Sidell
    Terri Sidell

Stunning idea!! Did you treat the pine cones with a bug spray before starting to use???

• Patinbr
      Patinbr

Question...I am in Baton Rouge, La. and I cannot find this large of a pine cone. Another thing--the cones pedals are closed up so it is impossible to insert anything between pedals. Where do you find Sugar Pine cones? I think I would pay for shipping and postage if you have any around you.

• Linda Gabriel
    Linda Gabriel

Will the cones not close up again after the succulents and moss are in place due to regular misting, etc. ???

• Linda Gabriel
      Linda Gabriel

Hi there - thank you for responding. However, I did a test with one of the cones I had baked - ran just a little water from the tap over the cone last night - it completely closed up !!! So I believe a light spray with some kind of sealant is required - will spray them upsidedown to ensure the product gets under the scales. I'll let you know how they turn out.

• Do your best!.
    Do your best!.

Amazing. Got to try this myself. Thank you :)

• Phyllis Murray
    Phyllis Murray

Yes. I gather pine cones at the park near me. I bake them at 200 degrees for 30 to 40 min to kill any bugs that may be in them