Winter Succulent Decor

$30.00

Did you decorate with pine cones for the holidays? Now you can use them to create beautiful succulent arrangements to hang in your windowsill during the winter months!

I had so much fun creating these for myself and for gifts! This is an easy an inexpensive project, and when winter is over the succulents can be potted up and placed outside. I got a variety of succulent cuttings from my friends at Harddy Succulents - if you go to my Instagram page @jagcagdesign, you will find a link to Harddy with a 5% off coupon. Rosette type succulents and delicate hanging succulents (like String of Pearls) work well for this project.

Tools and Materials

• pine cones
  • succulents
  • screws
  • twine
  • cup
  • hot glue
  • moss

Attach Twine to the Pine Cone

Attach Twine to the Pine Cone

The first thing I did was drive a screw into the pine cone and tie a long length of twine around it. Be sure to leave the twine nice and long so that you will have lots of options for hanging your pine cone at different lengths.

DIY Pine Cone Decor

Tip: I was able to hang my pine cones from a tree branch while I worked on them, but if you do not have a branch, you can rest your pine cone in a cup or glass to hold it upright.

Glue Moss to the Pine Cone

Glue Moss to the Pine Cone

Next, I used a hot glue gun to add a little bit of moss to the pine cone. I used assorted mosses - Sphagnum moss (ordered online), and other mosses that I gathered in the forest. Don't put too much moss in at the start, as you will want to leave room for the succulents. You will add more moss later.

Glue on Succulents

Glue on Succulents

Next, I used a small amount of glue on the backs of the succulents and tucked them into the pine cone here and there. I used low temp hot glue, but you could also use Tacky Glue. Then I went back and tucked in more moss to fill in any "holes". The moss will hold the moisture for the succulents, so once you have most of your succulents tucked in, surround them with more moss.

DIY Pine Cone Succulent Decor

That's it! You can mist your succulents with water once a week, or as needed depending on your climate. I had so much fun using different sized pine cones. I had some really large Sugar Pine Cones, which I experimented with (hung different directions), and some smaller cones that are more readily available at craft stores, especially during the holidays. I think it would also look lovely to have pine cones just laying on a table with succulents & moss tucked into them - they don't have to hang! (Hmmmm... that might be my next project! The big Sugar Pine Cones would look amazing on their sides!)

Homemade Pine Cone Succulent Decor

When the warmer weather comes around, you can gently remove the succulents from the pine cones, pot them, and put them in a sunny windowsill or outside. If you make these, please share a pic - I would love to see!Happy DIYing! xo, Jamey @jagcagdesign

4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July

• Evelyn

What kind of succulent are you holding in the 3rd picture?

• Cheryl

I'm assuming that gluing in the succulents does not kill them? Did you use a low temp glue? These are very pretty and so unique. Great housewarming gift idea!

• Terri Sidell

Stunning idea!! Did you treat the pine cones with a bug spray before starting to use???

• Pamela Nance

I don't have a question but I wanted to tell you how absolutely gorgeous these are. I'll be trying them next week & will send you pics. What a great idea. They're just so beautiful & creative. Thanks for the idea.

• Do your best!.
    21 minutes ago

Amazing. Got to try this myself. Thank you :)