Winter Succulent Decor

$30.00

Did you decorate with pine cones for the holidays? Now you can use them to create beautiful succulent arrangements to hang in your windowsill during the winter months!
I had so much fun creating these for myself and for gifts! This is an easy an inexpensive project, and when winter is over the succulents can be potted up and placed outside. I got a variety of succulent cuttings from my friends at Harddy Succulents - if you go to my Instagram page @jagcagdesign, you will find a link to Harddy with a 5% off coupon. Rosette type succulents and delicate hanging succulents (like String of Pearls) work well for this project.
The first thing I did was drive a screw into the pine cone and tie a long length of twine around it. Be sure to leave the twin nice and long so that you will have lots of options for hanging your pine cone at different lengths.
Tip: I was able to hang my pine cones from a tree branch while I worked on them, but if you do not have a branch, you can rest your pine cone in a cup or glass to hold it upright.
Next, I used a hot glue gun to add a little bit of moss to the pine cone. I used assorted mosses - Sphagnum moss (ordered online), and other mosses that I gathered in the forest. Don't put too much moss in at the start, as you will want to leave room for the succulents. You will add more moss later.
Next, I used a small amount of glue on the backs of the succulents and tucked them into the pine cone here and there. I used low temp hot glue, but you could also use Tacky Glue. Then I went back and tucked in more moss to fill in any "holes". The moss will hold the moisture for the succulents, so once you have most of your succulents tucked in, surround them with more moss.
That's it! You can mist your succulents with water once a week, or as needed depending on your climate. I had so much fun using different sized pine cones. I had some really large Sugar Pine Cones, which I experimented with (hung different directions), and some smaller cones that are more readily available at craft stores, especially during the holidays. I think it would also look lovely to have pine cones just laying on a table with succulents & moss tucked into them - they don't have to hang! (Hmmmm... that might be my next project! The big Sugar Pine Cones would look amazing on their sides!)
When the warmer weather comes around, you can gently remove the succulents from the pine cones, pot them, and put them in a sunny windowsill or outside. If you make these, please share a pic - I would love to see!Happy DIYing! xo, Jamey @jagcagdesign

• Vicki Hall

Does the glue not hurt the plants ?

• Barbara

it says low temperature hot glue or tacky glue, I think just enough to stick to the moss and a little between the pine cone pieces should not hurt the plant

• Lynda Conley

Can you just hang outside in the pinecone?

• Mary Lou

Why do you have to remove and plant? If they alive in the cone won't they be good outside? Love this