Board Game Wall Art- Accent Wall Gameroom

$12

5 years ago we bought a fixer-upper cabin in northern Minnesota. Each visit to the lake I plan a new project. But this is my first project post on hometalk!

I wanted to create a bold accent wall to complement the game room. I considered a bright color or rustic materials like barn wood or metal, but nothing seemed just right. Then I was at a garage sale and saw a free bin. In it, I found board games with missing pieces. This was it! The collection began. Over the next year I collected board games from garage sales and thrift stores. Some were donated from friends and family as well.

Supplies:

-Lots and lots of board games

-Time and patience

-2 sided 3M foam/thicker tape

-Razor Blade

1)We started by laying the boards out to separate like colors and designs.

2) Remove all outlet covers, lightswitch plates etc. from the wall.

3) Once we had our layout, add 2 sided foam tape to the back corners and each section of your board.

4) Remove tape guard and place your first board on the wall. We started from the top and worked our way down.

5) Cut holes where the outlets and lightswitches line up on the board. Then reinstall covers for a smooth professional look.

Once we had all the boards collected, it took one weekend and the help of my sister and mom to complete this fun board wall project.

Completed Board Wall!

Before...

The wall was pretty plain.

Collection of Games

These were all the board games we collected over the past year! Total investment: $12 and many, many hours:)

Getting organized!

Find your corner pieces first, just like a puzzle. Then sort by color and design. Next, add 2 sided tape to the backs of the boards. If there is a fold, add tape to each section, but not over a seam.

Thermostat over board for a pro look

I removed outlet covers, lightswitch plates and the thermostat to make it easier to cut a hole in the boards. The holes don't need to be perfect. The holes will be coverd up after the switch plates are returned.

*Be careful when working with electricity.

Ta-da! Wall is complete!

I was very pleased in how the board wall came together. There were a few gaps between boards so I overlapped some smaller boards or game pieces in these areas. Additionally; I painted the wall black between a few boards that were very close.

Have fun making your game wall!

• 3M two sided foam tape  (Home Depot)
  • Razor Blade  (Home Depot)

31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer

• Jan piner

Hi Bethany

I’m seriously considering this project. Love the look! Do you think I could install sheet metal to the wall first? Or glue metal to the back of the Game boards?That way tiny magnets could be placed on some of the game pieces for more interest and to continue to use the game. Chess for instance.

• Diana Runs with Scissors

I've never worked with metallic paint. Could you paint the wall with metallic paint, glue small magnets to the back of game boards, and attach game boards to the wall that way?

• ShelbyNeen

Now THAT is a super fun and original idea. It came out really great. Love that it isn't just an ordinary wall. So cool.

Question - Did you paint the foosball table black?

🎲♟️🎯🎴🧿🏆

• Bethany Ahiers

Hi Shelby,

It was time for an upgrade. Rehomed the old one and found the like-new Tornado brand table on Marketplace. I love deals!

• Sandy

I love this!! Great idea.

• Angel

💙

• Cherie

this is FIRE! I absolutely LOVe this idea and will be stealing it post haste!