Fixing a Makeover Gone Wrong
When I look for furniture online for the purpose of flipping it for a profit one of the most important criteria is price! It needs to be cheap enough that if I invest money and time in refinishing i can still sell it for a nice profit. That also means I purchase furniture that is in really bad shape or already had a bad makeover.
I purchased this dresser for $40 from Facebook marketplace. I knew I didn't want it blue and that it had wood underneath the paint. I was going to strip it and expose as much wood as possible.
I started by applying the stripper. I use citristrip because its low odor and can be used indoors.
Once I apply the stripper I cover it with foil so it doesn't dry out and keeps working. I think if it as when you dye your hair at home and cover it with a plastic bag. It just works better you know :)
After a couple of hours it was time to scrape off the stripper and hopefully the blue paint too. It was tough and didn't come off easily... i had to strip the top 3 times before the blue paint was off
To wipe off the stripper you need to use TPS. That will stop the chemical process.
After the top was stripped 3 times I realized that there was no way I was going to strip and sand the whole dresser 3 times. It would require so much time and supplies that I could not sell for a profit. That's when I had to improvise. I still wanted to expose as much wood as possible so I started stripping the drawers and decided on a design where 4 drawers have exposed wood and the rest would feature black paint.
Once I stripped the drawers it was clear that some parts of the veneer was sanded too hard previously and could not be exposed as I had hoped.Again I had to improvise! I decided on a "tetris" design where I simply paint a block over the damaged parts.
I used frogtape to tape out my design. For the paint I used black latex paint and gold metallic paint as part of my design. The drawers and top was sanded with 120, 150,320 grit sandpaper after stripping it. Then stained with dark walnut minwax penetrating stain. At the end of it all it was covered with polyurethane coat for a durable permanent finish.
Here is the finished dresser. It was a lot of work and I will think long and hard before I buy a dresser that was been painted top to bottom. But this makeover of a makeover was worth it! Looks much better and will make a statement piece in anyone's home. If you like this makeover and want to see more follow me on Instagram @andreapalmai
Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. More info