Turn a $60 Computer Armoire Into a Cricut Craft Cabinet

$350
2 Weeks

We are in the process of remodeling our home office, and with that, my desk space in the office no longer exists (Hubs works at home full time so it made more sense for it to become his office instead of a shared office). I needed an area for crafting, but the only room with space is my living room, so, I had to find a solution where my crafting space could be in the living room, without looking like a crafting space (since that would make my OCD-ish tendencies flare!) I searched Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist for weeks until I found the perfect solution: an oak computer armoire that someone was selling for $60! I added some shelving for my vinyl sheets to the top shelf and I refinished it to create the perfect crafting space. Best of all, when the doors are closed, it blends in with the furniture and you can't tell it contains crafting supplies! Here is an abbreviated version of my tutorial for converting this to my craft cabinet. You can find the full tutorial, more pictures, and links to the items I used to organize this cabinet on my blog post located here: https://www.pinspiredtodiy.com/cricut-craft-cabinet/
Here are a couple of before pictures so you can see what I started with.
To begin the process of transforming this armoire into the perfect craft cabinet, I first had to clean everything on the cabinet (it was very dirty and had paint splatters all over it...). First, I removed the doors and hinges, followed by the drawers and pull-out shelves, as well as all drawer slides. I made sure to label which drawers or shelves the slides went to as I pulled them off to make re-assembly easier.
I cleaned the entire armoire, as wells as all hardware, including the drawer slides for the drawers and shelves, and then I lightly sanded the armoire.
Then I added shelving for my 12x12 vinyl sheets using plywood. I added the two vertical boards above the top shelf, and then cut and painted the plywood boards to create the shelves.
I then painted the area behind and above where the shelves were going, and then added in the shelving boards.
I then painted the remainder of the interior of the armoire, as well as the exterior.
I also painted the doors, all shelves, and then the drawer fronts on all drawers.
While those were drying, I used black spray paint to paint the hinges black.
Once the paint on the armoire had completely dried, I used weathered wood antiquing gel on the exterior of the armoire and on the front of the doors.
I then reassembled the drawers and shelves, and reinstalled the door hinges and doors. I put new hardware on the drawer front and on the doors, using black metal drawer pulls instead of the wood pulls that were on their before.
I installed peg boards and baskets on the doors to organize my crafting supplies, and I added in some desk organizers to organized pens, paper, markers, paintbrushes, and my Cricut tools. I also installed a monitor mount
Lastly, I added in all the organization supplies I had purchased and filled them with my craft supplies. I now have a compact but useful crafting cabinet in my living room that blends in with the other furniture! Here are some additional pics:
Don't forget to visit my blog post for further information and details about the craft cabinet conversion!

Pinspired to DIY

• Judy

Wonderful repurposing. Do the doors close with all those added baskets?

• Beth

If you really look at the picture, you will see that those thin shelves around the monitor are recessed a bit, and the baskets on the doors are actually pretty shallow. I think the baskets' depth is just right to fit in the space left by the recession of the shelves. The whole point of putting all her craft supplies in the armoire is to hide it away, after all.

• Anna

Awesome job! I really love the look.

Maybe I overlooked something but is there a shelf that pulls out to give you more space for larger projects?

• Ardale

Wow that's amazingly beautiful! I want to know where you found a computer cabinet with that design for 60 bucks?? Also where you do keep your computer chair when your cabinet is closed? Great design makeover it looks like a piece of high end furniture that would set you back several hundred dollars. Great job, functional and beautiful.

• Cindy Sargent Norwood

What a beautiful craft cabinet, I so want me one!

• Tina

Thanks for showing what you’ve done. I have a similar looking Computer armoire made with oak that I’m also transforming into a craft center. I’ve been thinking about painting it to make it more my style.