Asked on Jan 7, 2020

How do I put in lights over my island without opening up the ceiling?

HomeroadKmdreamerCynthia H
+7

• Janice

Hi Candi, is your kitchen ceiling on the upper level of your home? If so, an electrician can make quick work of finding the electrical lines and be able to add lights where ever you'd like them to be above the island very likely without disturbing the ceiling other than for the areas whee you want pot or hanging lights. .

• Candi

Unfortunately I am on the lower level of a 2 story condo. I'm not sure which way the ceiling beams run. I guess an electrician is my best bet. Thanks for your help.

• Kathy Gunter Law

You could run a cord and make it decorative with a chain or wrap in fabric.

• Peggy Burnette

Hi Candi, this is Peggy. You can but stick on battery lights to put over your island, but you have to be able to turn them off and on. Hope this is helpful.

• Gk

You might not have to open the ceiling at all except to make a hole where an electrical box can be installed and wires fished to this area for lights and switches. It will depend on your situation. The electrical box would likely be covered by any electrical fixture you can hang above your island.

• Call a licensed electrician, it is not that expensive. They can easily run the wires and install the code required box as well as install switches to turn on and off. You don't need to "open the ceiling" to install a light fixture.

• Mogie

If you don't know how to do this Naomie has a good idea about calling an licensed electrician to do this for you.

• Cynthia H

I agree about using an electrician. Only a small opening and access to a power source is needed to pull new wires. An alternative is a surface mount with a cord running to an outlet. There are some nice industrial lights like that.

• Kmdreamer

You could use a chain and drape it and plug it in

• Homeroad

We installed pendant lights in the pot lights that already existed in the ceiling. Here is what we did https://www.homeroad.net/2013/05/instant-pendant-lights.html#more