DIY Burlap Walls

$30

When I was planning out my living room, I knew I needed to add texture somewhere and I ultimately decided the walls were the perfect place! While the bottom half had wainscoting, I was able to add burlap to the top half, adding a unique feature to the room!
Before I started, my room looked like this.
I started by making the "glue" that would hold the burlap to the walls, which is basically just 1 part cornstarch to 8 parts water. You'll note there are a ton of lumps in my glue. It took me forever to figure out to add the water to the cornstarch (and not the cornstarch to the water.)
Then I pinned the burlap to the walls with pushpins. There are major wrinkles in my burlap, but that comes out when the glue is applied.
Then I painted the glue onto the burlap, working my way from one corner down and across.
I worked my way around the room, fully painting each piece in place. Once the "glue" was dry, the room was done.
One of the cool things about this project is that the burlap comes down really easily if you decide to change the look later.
I love how it turned out, and I'm so glad I took this route instead of painting. It's perfect for the finished room!
If you like it too, be sure to check at the full DIY Burlap Walls post! And if you love how my living room turned out, see the full reveal (with plenty of pictures!) over at A Butterfly House.

3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
15 Memorial Day Crafts
15 Perfectly Round Tables
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
Lindsay Fay

• Donna

We have a “hobby farm” in Lacoochee, FL with chickens, barn cats, miscellaneous critters & a couple of ponies. Burlap of course is old timey feed sack fabric. As a seamstress I have a few different types of it. Camo, natural, etc. it looks pretty with bold lace over it too. Thanx for the idea - never would have thought to put it on the wall !

Question tho - don’t bugs like to eat the cornstarch paste? Wondering what alternative would be best, cuz it seems the cornstarch based paste would attract roaches. Thanx again

• Dawn Fulton

I've used this method with starch. My question is: is cornstarch better to use than starch? I know with the starch it's easy up easy off but I'm open to better ideas. Thank you

• Tracie

Why can't you just dip it in the paste and than squeeze out than put up .?

• Sue

Holy moly,thats so pretty.

Question,did you also paint layer of cornstarch on wall before putting up material?

Love it.

• Donna Fabela

As a former foster parent I needed a way to be able to change the bedroom decor quickly and easily to fit each child and I used fabric cut outs such as dinosaur or butterflies etc. I would dip them in liquid starch and hang them on the wall. When I needed to change it, just spray with water and start again.