Castle Bookshelf

$80

I wanted to put a bookshelf in my daughter’s room and I figured why not get creative and make something fun with multiple purposes!

After some brainstorming, I decided on a large bookshelf/jewellery hanger in the shape of a castle.

I had some pine boards laying around which were the perfect size for my project.I drew up a few rough sketches of what I had in mind, and then just started experimenting, cutting sections of the boards at a time, laying them out & moving them around until I was happy with the layout.

Once all the pieces were cut to square, I screwed the structure together and then sanded all the rough edges and corners.

Now it was ready to paint! I chose to use Rust-oleum chalk paint in all hope that I could then avoid priming (big mistake - read on to see why).

Once the paint (two coats) had dried, I positioned it against the wall and attached it using some small wall brackets to keep it in place.I then added some little hooks for jewellery.Next I wrote the words ‘Madison’s Castle’ on the front centre using a metallic gold marker and some glitter paint.

Hooks for jewellery

I thought I was now finished, the bookshelf looked great and my daughter LOVED it, but unfortunately a couple days later I noticed some ‘marks’ appearing in some sections of the paint. I soon discovered that is was wood stains bleeding through the paint.

Wood stains bleeding through paint

To fix this, I had to sand back the paint, apply a stain blocking primer and then repaint. (I won’t be skipping that step ever again. 😅)Finally it was finished, a castle shaped bookshelf with multiple purposes. 👌🏻

Check out my other projects for the bookshelf I made for my son 💙

Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas

To see more: //www.instagram.com/_prettyliving

• Mary Laughlin

Is there a link for the cut list and how to assemble? Great idea!

• Nancy

On a positive note: Coming up with your own measurements would allow you to fit it perfectly into the space you have. You could even add a mirror somewhere too.

This is a great inspirational project! I could even see it being used outside in a children's play area, little shovels, small balls, and such could be stored in it.

• Tonya

Awwww! My daughter is 26! as soon as she has a baby girl....CASTLE-BOOK SHELF, here GMA comes!!!! LOL!!!!

• April

super cute! I think some crystal or glass drawer pulls where you have that vest on a hanger would make hanging things much easier...what do you think? ;)