DIY Geode Coasters

$5
1 Day

Happy new year everyone!

I thought I would start the year off with one of my easiest tutorials to date. These beauties may look intricate and complicated to make, but it’s all a lie!

Read on to see just how easy it is! And if you prefer to follow a video, see my YouTube link below!

I also have a new Etsy Shop that I recently opened so please take a look you get a chance

YOUTUBE

For my step by step video for this tutorial, please see my latest YouTube video!

Please like and subscribe

WHAT YOU’LL NEED

Materials used:

• Resin and liquid/mica pigments
  • Glitter
  • Silicone coaster molds
  • Measuring jug and mixing spatula
  • 6 mini silicone cups
  • Mixing sticks
  • Blow torch
  • Heat gun

MIX YOUR RESIN

Measure out equal parts of resin and hardener into your plastic mixing jug, starting with your hardener. You shouldn’t need more than 400ml of fully mixed resin, therefore 200ml of hardener and 200ml of resin.Combine and mix well for about 5 mins.

MIX YOUR COLOURS

Split the resin between 6 mini silicone cups and colour 5 of them to your liking leaving 1 clear.I coloured mine as follows:

• Cup 1 - Glittery teal
  • Cup 2 - Antique gold
  • Cup 3 - Deep teal
  • Cup 4 - White
  • Cup 5 - A mix of 3 glitters
  • Cup 6 - Clear

POUR YOUR RESIN

Now add each colour to each of your 4 molds. However, don’t use up all of your resin in one go. Start with just one layer.

I like to start with the center colour and then the outside colour and carry on from there. Add rings of colour in any order you like.

To see how I filled my coaster molds, check out my YouTube video using my links in this post.

BUBBLE POPPING

Pop some bubbles using your blow torch and then blend your rings using your heat gun.

REPEAT

Repeat the earlier steps adding more resin rings. Then add the clear resin to spread and blend all the colours.

CURING

Blend and pop some more bubbles before leaving your coasters to cure for at least 12 hours.

DEMOLD

All that’s left to do now is demold and fall in love! It’s that easy!

MORE ABOUT ME

Thank you so much for taking the time to read through my project and please also check out my:

• Instagram, @hannah_somerville88
  • YouTube (link above)
  • Etsy Shop (link in opening paragraph)

Happy crafting! X

12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives

• Robin Tassone

I'm about to watch your you tube video, but would like to know if you can see light through these? By the way, absolutely gorgeous!!

• Hannah Somerville

Awesome thank you! And yes, they are slightly transparent in the middle. You can choose to make them more transparent by adding less colour pigments at the mixing stage. The more colour you add, the darker and harder to see through them they become. X

• Susan Younger

Wonderful. How many coasters do you get out of the batch of 1/2 c hardener and 1/2 cup resin?

• Cary

What else could you use for the molds? The ones you use seem very project specific.

• Laura

Very pretty

• Bronxgirlcl

It might be cheaper to buy the coasters because the things you need to make these are very expensive.

• Hannah Somerville

Definitely. You get a hell of a lot out of one pack of resin and endless uses out of your coaster molds and many of the other products. Plus, its such a fun craft!