DIY Geode Coasters

$5
1 Day

Happy new year everyone!
I thought I would start the year off with one of my easiest tutorials to date. These beauties may look intricate and complicated to make, but it’s all a lie!
Read on to see just how easy it is! And if you prefer to follow a video, see my YouTube link below!
For my step by step video for this tutorial, please see my latest YouTube video!
Please like and subscribe
Materials used:
  • Resin and pigments - use my code HANNAH20 for 20% off your online purchases here
  • Glitter
  • Silicone coaster molds
  • Measuring jug and mixing spatula
  • 6 mini silicone cups
  • Mixing sticks
  • Blow torch
  • Heat gun

Measure out equal parts of resin and hardener into your plastic mixing jug, starting with your hardener. You shouldn’t need more than 400ml of fully mixed resin, therefore 200ml of hardener and 200ml of resin.Combine and mix well for about 5 mins.
Split the resin between 6 mini silicone cups and colour 5 of them to your liking leaving 1 clear.I coloured mine as follows:
  • Cup 1 - Glittery teal
  • Cup 2 - Antique gold
  • Cup 3 - Deep teal
  • Cup 4 - White
  • Cup 5 - A mix of 3 glitters
  • Cup 6 - Clear

Now add each colour to each of your 4 molds. However, don’t use up all of your resin in one go. Start with just one layer.
I like to start with the center colour and then the outside colour and carry on from there. Add rings of colour in any order you like.
To see how I filled my coaster molds, check out my YouTube video using my links in this post.
Pop some bubbles using your blow torch and then blend your rings using your heat gun.
Repeat the earlier steps adding more resin rings. Then use the clear resin to spread and blend all the colours.
Blend and pop some more bubbles before leaving your coasters to cure for at least 12 hours.
All that’s left to do now is demold and fall in love! It’s that easy!
Thank you for reading and please also take time to check out my instagram at @hannah_somerville88
Happy crafting!

• Robin Tassone

I'm about to watch your you tube video, but would like to know if you can see light through these? By the way, absolutely gorgeous!!

• Hannah Somerville

Awesome thank you! And yes, they are slightly transparent in the middle. You can choose to make them more transparent by adding less colour pigments at the mixing stage. The more colour you add, the darker and harder to see through them they become. X

• Susan Younger

Wonderful. How many coasters do you get out of the batch of 1/2 c hardener and 1/2 cup resin?

• Cary

What else could you use for the molds? The ones you use seem very project specific.

• Laura

Very pretty

• Bronxgirlcl

It might be cheaper to buy the coasters because the things you need to make these are very expensive.

• Hannah Somerville

Definitely. You get a hell of a lot out of one pack of resin and endless uses out of your coaster molds and many of the other products. Plus, its such a fun craft!