Asked on Jan 10, 2020

How can I remove sealing wax from a cured, chalk painted table?

Holly Lengner - Lost MomMalicity D'ObscuraLynne
+11

Posted this weeks ago when it was a grimey 40 year old datk brown end table. Used chalk paint fot the first time and then sealed it with sealing wax. Now I have decided that I want a darker grey . How do I get the sealing wax off to repaint?

• Try some mineral spirits on a rag.

• Gk

Hello Cindy! If your painted and waxed your table more than 30 days ago you can use chalk paint to paint right over the waxed surface. This article suggests you can use chalk paint to paint over your waxed surface even sooner using chalk paint. I have done this with both Annie Sloan Chalk paint and wax as well as Rustoleum Chalked paint with Annie Sloan wax. it comes out beautifully!

https://www.thepurplepaintedlady.com/2013/06/how-long-should-you-wait-to-paint-over-freshly-waxed-pieces

• Redcatcec

I have had luck with Awesome's degreaser (dollar stores) and then apply mineral spirits on a rag, or a deglosser, be sure the room is well ventilated.

However, if you used Annie Sloan's, paint you can skip all the above steps and just paint right over the item.

Best to you.

• Pamela

Just paint over it !!!!

• Sharon

Ammonia is used to remove wax.

one cup of lemon scented ammonia to one gallon warm water. Wear rubber gloves. Rinse well

• Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom

Mix a solution of 1 cup of white vinegar and 1 tablespoon of cream of tartar to make a natural abrasive cleaner. Dampen a soft cotton cloth with the solution and gently wipe the wax off in the direction of the wood grain. Rinse the surface by lightly dampening a cloth in plain water and wiping the surface of the wood.

• Dee

Mix a solution of equal parts white vinegar and water, and a few drops of Dawn. Dampen a soft, lint-free cotton cloth with the solution and wipe the surface of the table to break down and remove the wax buildup. Follow the grain of the wood with each stroke.

• Cindy Rubin

Thank you all very much!

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

I've been able to paint over projects that have been painted with chalk paint and wax with a fresh coat of chalk paint.

• Unique Creations By Anita

I have painted over mine in the past, and it worked fine.

• Lynne

Hi Cindy,

If it is cured, you can just give it a fresh coat of chalk paint right over the existing paint and wax. I have done this with Annie Sloan chalk paint and wax and it worked out well. I hope this is helpful!

• Malicity D'Obscura

I found that burning candles in my bathroom, after I had sealed with wax, a faux stone finish I'd done with plaster and bronzing powders, did a fine (and so unwanted!) job of causing the wax to blister off, where their heat rose. You may wish to try using a hair dryer, or very carefully, a heat gun.

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

You may have to sand it down.