Create a Winter Arrangement Using a Tropical Plant

$6

Create a winter flower arrangement using an orchid, giving it a snowy white setting as a centerpiece.
I had a blog challenge to create a "Winter White Flower Arrangement". Boy, was it a challenge when I went to search for white flowers at my area grocery stores the beginning of January and there were none to be found. . . as if all the stores had gone on a flower diet after all the holiday blooming and bingeing!
I decided to use what I had, my white Phalaenopsis Orchid, a gift I received in December. Admittedly it's an unlikely candidate for a winter white flower arrangement as it's a tropical flower. 
I love orchids as the blooms last 2 – 3 months, requiring only bright indirect light and minimal watering once a week. For a container, I used a favorite white soup tureen.
I placed the orchid pot inside the tureen and adding some plastic bags to keep it centered and provide support for some filler for the arrangement. . . pine cones and a bird nest pick I had, recycled from another arrangement.
I decided it would need a dusting of faux snow, that purchased on clearance after Christmas.
Sprigs of evergreens cut from the trees, were added along the edge of the tureen. A bird flew in for a little winter nesting in the arrangement for a finishing touch.
I use the ‘ice cube method’ to water my orchid once a week, removing the pine cones, adding three ice cubes to the orchid, allowing them to melt. After they’re melted, I replace the pine cones. The arrangement provides a centerpiece for a ‘Winter Nesting Table’.
The arrangement sits at the end of the table (so as not to block anyone’s view) at the end of an evergreen runner, votives, decorative bird nests and more bird ornaments. More photos of the table, along with table sources at the blog link below.
The table is set for cozy dining in front of our Winter Nesting Tree, decorated for January with snowflakes, icy branches, birds and pine cones, and excuse to extend the *twinkle* season after Christmas, when it’s cold and gray outside. You can fly over to see the tree, HERE.
Happy Winter Nesting!

Mary @ Home is Where the Boat Is

• Kaye

So, there will be this lovely center piece to look at but no one will get any soup.LOL I hope you won the challenge because you surely deserve it.TFS

• Sharron Bennett

The arrangement is gorgeous and I want to try to make it, good directions.