DIY Stencil: Bin Makeover

$10

Don't have a Cricut or Silhouette like me? This is a cheap and easy way to make your own stencil with just a few supplies. Add a little bit of style to any piece (and save some money) with this fun tutorial!

My mom gifted me this potato/onion and garbage bin when I moved out. These were custom made in the 90's or early 2000's, and although I think that the flowers and natural wood is still charming, they needed a fresh start. Since they were getting a new home, they were getting a new look too!

I began with a coat of paint and taped off the handles to leave them the natural wood colour. When it was dry, I roughed up the corners and edges a bit with a high grit sanding block.

I used Home Hardware's Beauti-Tone Chalkboard paint.

The plain black looked great, but a stencil would really make it special!

Since I don't own a Cricut or anything similar, I had to come up with a makeshift stencil... and to my surprise this actually turned out great!

What you'll need for this:

·        Avery Sticker Project Paper (15 sheets/pack)

·        X-Acto Precision Knife for crafting

·        Cutting mat

·        Your image/silhouette selected

·        Printer

Print your image onto a sheet of the sticker paper. Using your precision knife and cutting mat, trace the image to cut it out. I was a little bit nervous about this silhouette since it had a lot of different shapes and contours, but it worked out fine. Keep the reverse of the image to use as a stencil.

Peel the back of the sticker paper off and place it onto the desired spot. Using a makeup sponge or stencil brush, dab on the paint inside your stencil.

For this part, I used a makeup sponge and white craft paint from the Dollar Store.

Done! I also added a "potatoes" and "onions" stencil to the other bin.