Thrift Store Find Turned Office Storage!

$10

Give a thrift store find a quick and easy makeover to create additional storage for your home!
If you've ever shopped at a thrift store, you've probably seen a plain wooden box like the one above, or even a similar jewelry box. I know I have, and each time I've always rolled my eyes and walked on by.
Until recently when I decided to organize my home office and realized I needed more storage. That plain old box was the perfect size for all the office supplies that were cluttering up my desk drawer. And since it was only $5 I grabbed it.
Of course it would need a makeover first. That started by removing the knobs. I was going to replace them with something more substantial but those I liked were a bit more $$ so I decided to paint these instead.
The chest would need paint too, but first I had to sand the entire thing down with 120 grit sandpaper. Once that was done I wiped it down with a damp cloth to remove any dust and then it was time to paint.
I chose True Navy for the chest and a Soft Gold for the knobs. They both took two coats of paint to cover. I also allowed drying time in between coats and 2 hours drying time after the last coat before reassembling.
The chest fits perfectly on top of one of my book shelves and the drawers are deep enough to hold plenty of supplies!
You can see more details on this project and other Trash to Treasure projects over on my blog!

CD's CountryLiving

• Kathleen

I really love this! I have one of those small acrylic 3 drawer boxes I keep on my desk for all the stamps, stickers, & seals I have & my grandkids love it! I certainly could use a box like this for all the envelopes, note pads, all occasion cards, etc I have! This is really easy to do!

• CD's CountryLiving

Thank you so much Kathleen!! Yes a super easy way to add more storage!! Love your idea to use it for envelopes etc!! 🥰🥰

Very nice work. Love the color and the handles are perfect. Good share.