Asked on Jan 10, 2020

How do I repair and preserve a plastic refrigerator door?

MomofivejsORCheryl AJ Brown
+16

New refrigerator “crisper” drawers start at $50, so I’m going to try to glue it together. But it’s going to need re-enforcing to keep from breaking again. This plastic is brittle. I’m looking for a “sticky back” adhesive (frosted) film that I can put on the front and the back. Kind of like laminated safety glass. What do you think I can do to stop the flexing and re-breaking?

• Redcatcec

I would say you need a metal bar over the drawers, which seems to be missing from the bones of the refrigerator. It should run from side to side, fitting over the mounts that are there. Without this support the results are a cracked plastic drawer that is giving you all kinds of grief. Give the manufacturer a call, have the make and model ready, you are missing a part you need.

• Mogie

Somewhat looks like the stress from opening and closing that door has taken its toll. Good site that explains several ways to fix this in detail.

https://www.hunker.com/13407446/can-i-fix-the-plastic-vegetable-drawer-in-my-refrigerator

Use two part clear epoxy to glue the cracks. You can use Contact paper to add a little strength. Stick it on the inside and outside of the drawer. Also a glue a wood dowel in the "handle" leaving gripping room for fingers.

• Deb K

Hello, I think you are on the right track, how about a peel and stick shelf liner, you could run it on both side of the plastic to coat it and it is food grade as it is made for kitchen shelving. you can buy it in frosted or semi transparent

https://www.wayfair.ca/keyword.php?keyword=peel+and+stick+shelf+liner

• Dee

Mine did the same thing years ago. I looked at my refrigerator warranty book and the bins were covered for 10 years. I immediately called and Kitchenaid sent me 2 new bins. Looks like the draw was packed with too many items and became too heavy.

• Lifestyles Homes

Unfortunately. my refrigerator was put on a dolly & moved without me being told they were going to do that and the 2 liter soda bottles crashed around in that drawer.

It’s a long story, but I can’t get the contractor who did that to pay for a new drawer. 🙄

• Michelle Leslie

Hi there, you could try d-c-fix® Sticky Back Plastic. It should work

Hi Lifestyles: Well, one thing you can try is the old standby of Duct Tape. It comes in a lot of nice colours these days. Wrap the bin horizontally, from back to front, all the way around, maybe at the top and middle. May not be the prettiest, but it should work. Good luck

• J Brown

We have rental property and "things are always breaking". You are correct NEW replacement parts are outrageous. I always have my eyes curbside for things that have usable parts and pieces. You can often find "parts" on ebay and/or call a used appliance store they usually have a stockpile of spare items.

• Cheryl A

you could call an used appliance store to see if they have replacement drawers for cheap - you have to be careful with what glue you use because of toxic fumes that could get into your food. https://www.hunker.com/12446005/how-to-repair-the-plastic-in-a-refrigerator

• MomofivejsOR

If you have a local Mom and Pop appliance store check there. A lot of times when they deliver a new appliance they return with the replaced item. Most do not resale, they have them recycled and may also part them out before they are picked up. I know $50.00 sounds a lot but you will make it back and then some when you sale your house. Broken drawers scream to buyers maintenance problems, they may wonder what else hasn't been taken car of.