DIY Peg Rail Coat Rack

$30
1 Day

As new empty nesters my husband and I are slowly making our home function for the two of us. One thing that was never very functional for our family was having to keep our all our winter coats and gear in our individual closets, alongside our everyday clothing. Living in Michigan means we have A LOT of winter gear.Now that the laundry room isn't running like a laundromat 24/7, we have more space and are ready to make that room functional for us. I also wanted it to look cute and fit my farmhouse style. I knew a Peg Rail Coat Rack is exactly what we needed.
Material List:
  • 1x8x6 Poplar board
  • 1 inch dowel rod
  • Zinsser Primer
  • Behr Paint
  • Wood Glue
  • Sand paper

Tools used:
  • Drill press
  • Chop Saw
  • Router
  • Paint brush

The first step is to figure out the number of pegs and the spacing wanted for your specific space and needs.
We found the middle of the board at 3 5/8 inches. Then I decided I wanted 10 pegs and I wanted the pegs to be 4.5 inches in from edge of the board and 7 inches apart. Then we marked along the board so we could start drilling peg holes.
To make the holes we used a 1 inch forstner bit in the drill press. We made the holes go completely through the board.
Once the peg holes are drilled, we figured out where the studs were on our wall and marked on the back of our board where we wanted our keyhole slots.
We decided to do keyhole slots to hang the peg rail flush on the wall. You could also drill screws straight to the wall if you don't mind seeing the screws on the face of your board.
To make the keyholes we used a router with a 3/8 keyhole cutter router bit.
Tip: Shut off router before pulling it out of the wood.
This is what your finished keyhole will look like.
After the board is finished we moved onto cutting the dowel rod. We used a 1 inch rod and made our pegs 4 inches long.
If you don't use a 1 inch board you may want to adjust this length.
Once everything is cut, it's time to sand the pegs and board smooth. I also softened the peg edge on only one side by hand sanding the blunt cut down. I did not sand the peg edge of the end that will be in the board.
Once everything is sanded and wiped clean, I poured wood glue on a plate and used a cheap brush I could throw away after applying the glue.
Before I started gluing in the pegs I laid wax paper down on my table so when the glue squeezes out the back it wont stick the board to the surface. This was perfect because it came right up the next day without sticking.
I brushed glue inside the peg hole and on the very end of the peg. Then I immediately put the peg in the hole and wiped off any glue that came up to the top of the board with a slightly damp paper towel.
Once all the pegs were glued in place I Iet them sit for 24 hours to make sure the glue was set.
If you missed any extra glue when placing the pegs you should sand those areas again before painting.
I always use a primer before painting. I started by priming the back of the rail and then all the pegs. I finished by priming the edges and flat portion of the board.
I completed this project with one coat of primer and 2 coats of paint.
Here it is...the finished Peg Rail!
I love it and wish we would have made it sooner.

To see more: //www.instagram.com/_staci.marie_

• LINDA

WELL !!! perferct timing......hubby is putting up beadboard in our new laundry room (well, "new house" for us...)....I NEED this pegboard idea and I've just bought the 41" Laundry sign like yours (Kirklands), so I'm just going to have to "steal" your ideas!! Excellent plan....thank you for great info and inspiration....love it!!! YAY!!! for empty nesting!

• Staci Marie

I LOVE IT LINDA!! I want beadboard in my laundry room too. I'm working on getting that done next!! Leave a picture once you get yours done! I'd love to see it!!

• JUJU

where do i order this from?