How to Repurpose Candle Jars

$5

I love candles year round. But in the fall and winter months I light candles most nights. I love to light candles on rainy evenings and snowy weekends. Just a forecast for snow has me running around lighting a candle in the kitchen or family room coffee table.But, my love for candles means I have quite a few empty glass jars that I hate to toss. So many of my favorite candles are because of the glass jars.
All of these candles have one thing in common: great packaging! The jars are made from glass or metal which makes them perfect to recycle.

For me, candles are the closest thing to a wood-burning fireplace in a state that has largely banned wood-burning fireplaces in residential homes. I wonder if candle sales are higher in Colorado than states that allow wood-burning fireplaces?
After several attempts to clean the residual wax and wicks I discovered the secret to clean the wax from the jars. The dishwasher does not tackle the residual waxy residue.
  1. Freeze the jars
  2. Followed by rinsing in hot water (I boiled water). That's it! Over the course of a month, my freezer had a 1/2 dozen candles.
And, when I had a few minutes of free time I boiled water and watched the frozen wax pop out or break down into smaller pieces. The wax residue just needed soapy water and a little elbow grease.
The results were awesome and all of sudden these beautiful candle jars can be re-purposed for new uses. Stay tuned!
Check out the video below to see how easy it was to upcycle candle jars. Stay tuned for fun ways I reintroduced the candle jars into my everyday home.Check my top upcycle projects here.We are all in this together.

• Knive & Dish Soap to remove residual wax  (In the kitchen)
  • Scrubber  (Already owned)

Everyday Edits

• Irishgurl

If you freeze the glass candles...dont they break or crack at the difference in temperature if you put them in boiling water to release the wax?? Thanks! Just wondering!! ☺

• Bev

They pop out pretty easy from the freezer. I just take a butter knife and go around the frozen candle and it usually pops loose and falls out. The Yankee candle small cylinders make great highball glasses

• Lynda Farias

Why doesn’t the glass break when it comes from freezer to boiling water?

• Syl

What do you do with your empty clean candle jars I need suggestions LOL

• Judith

Once the candle jars are clean, what do you use them for? 🧐

• Smo11620259

To remove leftover wax/wick from candlejars lay on its side on a newspaper lined baking pan in a 200 degree oven. Wax will melt from the outer edge first. Then you can dump out the melted wax and wipe residue with paper towel while still warm

• Louise

Hi. Where i live it's a smokeless area. No coal fires nomore. Wonder if thats why i use as meny candles. :) Just like you i light candles all round my home. When the rain an wind is howling. Im a brit so that's all the time .lol...

About freezing them. I do that to..But i never use water afterward? I put in freezer for 15 mins. It should pop out. If not i use a knife slice it all up..it will fall out. Then i place it in the microwave 30sec intervals..This melt's any leftover wax then i just wipe clean with dry kitchen roll .. Alway's works for me. Candle jars are worth cleaning out so meny uses. Thanks for shareing