Asked on Jan 12, 2020

How do I fix the faded markings on a glass measuring cup?

FlipturnDwp7470bRedcatcec
+7

I have a favorite 2 cup glass measuring cup that I can barely read the red markings anymore. How can I replace the markings so that it looks nice and is permanent?

• Deb K

Hello Fonville you can paint glass but I would treat it with care once you get the measures all back on you may want to hand wash only, hopefully this helps you

https://www.wikihow.com/Paint-Glass

• Mogie

Try using a permanent marker but on the outside of the cup. Or you can splurge and invest in a new Pyrex cup. I also suggest you take the time to contact Anchor or whoever made the other measuring cup and complain. Request a refund! Or better yet take it back to the store where you bought it and complain and request a refund there. If you go wild and buy a new one apply a coat of clear nail polish over the red measurements.

• Vimarhonor

Try paint rated for glass.

I recently painted 36 glass mason jars with Folk art multipurpose.

This paint is rated for glass needs to be baked on.

Plaid has a whole page on glass paint products I would look there or call their support line. They are very educational and helpful

In my case it was a bit more complicated—trying to paint dimensional flowers. I painted a white background first then the blue flower on top. It’s have a nice clean background ( rear view) as well as support the flower true color and prevent streaky look. I painted in waves painting one single color at a time which allowed the paint to dry and cure -this system work very well for me

https://plaidonline.com/craft-by-type/glasspainting

https://plaidonline.com/about/faqs/general/how-do-i-cure-painted-glass-or-

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

They have paint specifically for glass or you can use adhesive vinyl.

• Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom

I would look at a hobby store, they may have a marker/pen that will work on glass.

• Janice

Use a Sharpie...be sure it is labeled as An oil-based permanent Sharpie marker and will will do the trick. You can likely trace over the markings with the Sharpie to match the original measurement markings.

• Redcatcec

Have you considered getting a tool that does engraving? Or etch the cup? You can find these at Amazon and some craft stores.

• Dwp7470b

Buy Nail Polish or Painted Glass Paint, Red. And use 2 Pieces of Masking Tape at the Lines to guide the brush

• Flipturn

Hard water is notorious for being brutal on glass cookware markings.

Especially if washed in the dishwasher, even brand name pieces such as Pyrex and Anchor will wear off sooner or later.

Reapplying clear nail polish would be a constant and time consuming chore.