Plant Lovers! Check Out My DIY Test Tube Plant Propagation Station!

$20
1 Day

I have wanted to make this project for a long time, so I'm really excited to share it with you all! It uses mostly scrap wood from my garage and some $1 glass test tubes from the craft store. If you aren't familiar with plant propagation, it's when you grow a new plant from an existing plant using a cutting or a leaf. Check out my detailed post on the easiest plants to get started propagating!
Since I used scrap wood, I used different kinds of wood. The top is oak because it didn't split when I drilled the holes. A drill and a spade bit were all I needed to drill the holes! I did 10.
When I cut a base piece, two side pieces, and a middle support piece (not glued in yet in the above pic) and glued everything together using wood glue and clamps.
When the glue was dry, I added one reinforcing small nail using a hammer and nails. This part is optional if you're just going to be sitting the propagation station somewhere. But if you'll be hanging it and it will bear weight, you definitely want to add a few nails.Then I spray painted the entire piece a beautiful deep green. Perfect.
Once it was dry, I added my test tubes in, filled them with water, and added some cuttings from my beautiful plants! I have this sitting in a window for great sun exposure—and because it's the perfect size for a windowsill. Here's the finished piece.
For exact measurements and a more detailed tutorial, make sure to click the link below next to my pic to see the full post! And if you like plants, check out my 100% free plant care e-books!

By Brittany Goldwyn

• Mary B

Where did you get the test tubes ?

• By Brittany Goldwyn

I got mine from Michaels, but you can also get them on Amazon or upcycle something similar like Eva suggested!

• Noele Edwards

It's lovely and you have good woodworking talents. How do you stop algae from growing in the water that's exposed to all that sunlight?

• Indy

I usually add a few drops of bleach before I start the process of any plant growing in glass. It happens to work for me😊

• Linda

Can I copy so I can make the project

• MM

Karen, both of these are on the materials list. The size of the bit depends on the size of the test tube.

• Jane

👍🏻👍🏻