Table Makeover With Postage Stamps

$10

It's so much fun to give an old table a whole new look, and it's even more fun when using something unexpected.... like postage stamps.
I found this old beat up magazine table at the ReStore a few years ago.
It really needed some serious makeover love.
I painted the table white over a year ago because I knew I wanted to decoupage it with something.
But I had no idea what.So it sat waiting for divine inspiration to hit me.
Then one day I found some stamps at a thrift store and an idea was born.
After locating some more stamps I separated them into colors.
NOTE: I am not a stamp collector. I purchased used stamps specifically for crafting purposes.
I decided I wanted to outline the table top with blue stamps.
So I did dry fits as I went along, and then I decoupaged the stamps in place.
I worked my way in as I went, using different colored stamps as a sort of pattern.
After giving the entire top a coat of the medium I let it dry and then save it a light sanding with a fine grit sanding block.
Alternating with the decoupage medium and the sanding block, I gave it two light coats.Letting it dry in between, and then I finished it off with a final coat.
Here you can see that the decoupage medium goes on kind of whitish, but it dries clear.
Then it was time to do those fabulous legs.
I trimmed the overhanging stamps off with a sharp exacto knife, following the shape of the legs.
Then the legs got the same decoupage medium and sanding block treatment as the table top.
And the fabulous cubbies got the same treatment.
So here's a side view before pic.
And the after.
And here's the table the way I originally found it.
And here it is in my living room, where it fits perfectly between two wing chairs.
To see more tips and pics for this project out my Decoupaged Table Makeover post here.
You can also find more decoupage projects here.

Color Me Thrifty

• Dahliaqueen

Great job! Where were you lucky enough to find such colorful stamps??

• Color Me Thrifty

I found some stamps at a thrift store, but I also buy some on etsy. When buying like that you get what you get and they're not all colorful, so I organized them by color to make my table easier to design.

• Carol Hughes

I love it! Have you done this before? I did it with cut out flower pictures and used Modge Podge for my deco medium. It turned out great but after a time the sun bleached the colors out. Any suggestions because I think I will re-do it.

• Jana

There isn't any kind of clear sealer that would prevent fading?

• Carol Z

OMG, I love this!! Love the stamps, as I have always been fascinated by those tiny works of art! I especially like how the legs came out. The way you cut the stamps to follow those waves was brilliant! I have a small table just waiting for a treatment like this! Thank you for the inspiration and compliments on this fantastic makeover! By the way...do you have any idea how many stamps you used on this?? Just curious!

• Lari

OMGOSH THANK YOU FOR SHARING I've been collecting used stamps for over 20 years (but not constant) lol what an inspiration that was! I've been trying think of something to use mine for, now I just need to find the right piece furniture. : ) thx again

• Yvonne

That little table is gorgeous. I am artistic but you guys are Cray Cray. Your good bunch of people very creative thank you all for sharing your secrets for free.