DIY Bird Feeders

$10

Especially in winter, the birds in your backyard may need some extra calories if they're sticking around for winter. These fun DIY bird feeders are perfect for kids and adults alike!
There are several different types of bird feeders that can be made with household materials. But these are the 4 that we chose because they were quick and easy! Here are the materials you'll need:
  • Twine or Yarn
  • Bird seed
  • Peanut Butter
  • Toilet Paper Rolls
  • Pine cones
  • Paper Plate
  • Orange
  • Grape Jelly
Pine Cone Bird Feeder
  1. Begin by choosing a pine cone that is open, this makes it much easier for the bird seed to have some place to “sit.”
  2. Using a plastic knife, spread peanut butter on the open pine cone. Once the cone is thoroughly covered, roll the cone around on a paper plate full of bird seed. Keep rolling until the cone is fairly well covered.
  3. Take a length of yarn or twine and tie it around the top of the pinecone. Make a loop at the other end of the yarn.
  4. Hang your pinecone bird feeder on a limb where it’s easy access to birds who may be perched on a nearby limb or branch.
(Or package these feeders up in a plastic bag to gift to a friend or neighbor!)
Toilet Paper Tube Bird Feeder
  • Toilet paper tube (or paper towel tube cut in half)
  • Peanut Butter
  • Birdseed
  • Yarn or Twine

1. Begin by cutting your paper towel tube in half, if that’s what you’re using. Otherwise, take your toilet paper tube and begin covering it with peanut butter. (See a theme with these homemade bird feeders?)
  2. Take your peanut butter covered tube and place it in a plate filled with bird seed, rolling it around to cover. (It’s okay if the kids don’t cover the entire thing… see picture below.)
  3. Once tube is covered, leave it sitting in the dish, and thread a piece of yarn or twine through the tube. Tie both ends of the twine/yarn together, and hang your toilet paper tube bird feeder on a limb or branch.
  4. Be on the lookout for visitors to your new tube bird feeder! (And if you have extra tubes, don’t forget, they can always be composted!)
Orange and Grape Jelly Bird Feeder
  • Whole oranges
  • Grape jelly
  • Yarn or twine

1. Begin by halving the orange and removing the fruit from inside. (Be sure to eat the fruit, or add it to a salad, like this Pomegranate Spinach Salad.)
  2. Using a small paring knife, make 3 small holes close to the top of the orange half. Take 3 equal length of twine and tie a knot at the end of each piece.
  3. Push each piece of twine, unknotted end first, through one of the holes in your orange peel, and pull it through until the knot stops it.
  4. Then gather the loose ends of your twine and tie them together in a knot. This is how your orange peel will hang.
  5. Next, fill your orange “cup” with good quality grape jelly.
  6. Hang your orange and grape jelly bird feeder on a nearby branch or twig and see what comes to investigate!
Simple Paper Plate Bird Feeder
  • Paper plate
  • Bird seed
  • Peanut butter (optional)
  • Yarn or twine
  1. Begin by punching 3 holes along the edge of your paper plate.
  2. Next, cut three lengths of string or yarn of equal length. Tie a knot in one end of each piece of yarn.
  3. Push each of the unknotted yarn ends into one of the holes in the plate, pulling it through until it’s stopped by the knot.
  4. Then gather the loose ends of yarn, and tie them together at the top. This creates your “hanger” for your paper plate.
  5. Fill your paper plate with bird seed and hang it on a branch or limb for the birds.
Note: if you’re having a difficult time keeping the bird seed on the plate (i.e. wind), then feel free to spread peanut butter (or grape jelly) thinly on the plate first to create a sticky surface.

Courtney |The Kitchen Garten

• Nan Lickteig

Why can't I share any of your post?

• Phyllis

I was wondering what your favorite brands of jelly to use. Smuckers and some others have high fructose corn syrup in them. I love birds and wouldn't want to hurt them.

• Phyllis

Thank you for you prompt reply. I'll get some Polaner.

• Rebecca H

Hello Courtney..Thank you for sharing your gifts for our feathery friends. I’m ashamed to admit that I am a bit ‘Pinecone Challenged’ and do not quite understand what you mean by using an ‘Open’ Pinecone. Perhaps must I cut them open since all of my Pinecones here are completely round and full? I knew that saving my toilet paper rolls would have a good repurpose one day. (And to think my hubby thinks I’m just a hoarder..wink wink)