Up-cycle A Flower Pot Into a Gorgeous Indoor Umbrella Holder

$40

Hello Guys! Having a house guest arrive to your home while it is raining and asking them to leave their wet umbrella on the porch isn't apart of being a good hostess. So I decided that I would up-cycle one of my flower pots that was hibernating in the garage.

Tall cylinder flower pots are perfect for this project.
I thoroughly washed the flower pot with dish detergent and warm water.
This step is optional. If you don't want to add hardware simply paint the flower pot and add a few pebbles to the bottom of the pot to make sure that those heavy wet umbrellas don't cause it to fall over. 
Just to insure that the plastic did not crack I drilled pilot holes the first time with a small drill bit and then I expanded the holes to fit the screw with a larger drill bit.  
I replaced the originally screws included with the hardware with four 10-24 1 and 1/4 inch screws. The original screws would have been too long and would stick out on the inside of the flower pot. In other words they would look like the skewers in the picture below.  I provide additional instructions on how to add the hardware in video tutorial.  
I used large skewers to temporarily fill the holes while I spray painted the flower pot. This trick works when you are painting furniture as well.  The skewers also allowed me to carry the flower pot while the paint was wet. 
I also added some glamorous ribbon trim with E6000 glue. I purchased the ribbon from Hobby Lobby. This is a gorgeous DIY. You can use any tall cylinder flower pot for this project. I could have just painted the flower pot and added a few pebbles. That would mean I only used three supplies. But I added a few extra touches so my new indoor umbrella holder would match my decor in my foyer. 
Click the video below to see my  tutorial.  Have a beautiful day Loves!!!
This project would be beautiful in decoupage or painted multiple colors.  If you give it a try send me an email.

Cathryn Holt

1 comment