Cardboard Cheshire Cat Wall Art Extreme Upcycling Craft Room Makeover

$15
1 Month

I am getting close to finishing my craft room makeover and this has to be the craziest project yet. It took forever but it makes me smile when I look at it. The best part is that most of the materials came out of the recycle bin. I actually cut the hole in the drywall years ago. So long in fact that I have no recollection of how I was planning to finish it.
Before I started I needed to paint and paper the walls to match the rest of the room. Now you may think that paper macheing book paper to the wall was the crazy part but you would be wrong. It gets way more silly than that.
Here is the corner before and after the paper and paint. I also replaced the baseboard with my cardboard version but that is a whole other crazy craft project.
Once the walls were finished I took a sharpie marker and traced out my design. Because that's what you do with freshly finished walls right? Ok it was a little scary to take a sharpie to my walls.
Once the design was traced out it was time to apply the the cardboard. I cut many many many many many strips of corrugated cardboard into 1/2 wide pieces and then used hot glue and Elmer's glue to attach the cardboard to the wall in the design pattern.
As I mentioned before the process was quite time consuming but corrugated cardboard is a fun medium to create designs with and you can get very detailed results.
The final step was to add some paint to complete the design.
You can find more details for this project in the attached video and at the following link  http://www.upcycledesignlab.com/cardboard-cheshire-cat-wall-art-extreme-upcycling-craft-room-makeover/
Thanks for taking a look at my project. If you would like more upcycling project DIY's or Green Product Reviews please visit my blog or Youtube channel to subscribe.Happy Upcycling,

Cindy @ Upcycle Design Lab

• Hope

Is there a way to make this fireproof?

• Jenn48

OMG.....I Love this!!! I have a sewing room I kinda wanna turn into a kitty cat room/sewing room and I would love to attempt this Alice in Wonderland theme but actually add curved shelves and straight ones my kitty’s can lounge and play on! So thank you for awesome project idea!!!

The only thing is I have sand textured paint on the walls now so I wonder if I should sand the paint down before adding paper machete to the walls first or would it be okay to just add the machete over the sand texture?

• Hi jenn48,

Thanks for your comment and question I love your idea for the cat shelves. I would think you could just paper over the existing finish if there isn't too much texture. Have fun with your project. Thanks again.

• AnnM

Wondering how you cut the cardboard to get clean edges?

• AnnM

It looks so even I expected you to have used a saw. :) Thanks for the reply!

• Robyn Garner

Holy Moly woman! You are crazy talented. I see you're working on the Hookah Smoking Caterpillar - he was in my bedroom as a teen lol! 😎

• Jamie Tyler Smith

my daughter is into the creepy Alice (with the knives) I would think if I put that on the wall she would have had nightmares. Now she just has a tat of "that" alice. She's grown and making her own life, by the way, I didn't want you to think I let my minor child get a tat. lol

• Sharalen Lawhon
    21 hours ago

Really cute !