Replacing Your Kitchen Island

$200

We’ve had the original laminate island since 2006. It didn’t have any overhang so we sat at it sideways😂😂 I found a butcher block on FB marketplace that would add 12” on one end!!
Original beat up beauty🙈 This is the face closest to the stove so we wanted to add overhang to the opposite side so we could actually use it for a sitting area.
I sanded the butcher block to 120 to get it ready for stain.
I did a few light coats of minwax gray. I was trying to mimic some of the barnwood we have throughout the house. We will eventually paint the cabinets white so it’ll look a lot better 🙌🏼
A coat of poly and she was ready to install. The old one had screws and glue holding it down. Really easy to take off and we reused the screws for the new top.
I supplied the pressure and my pal put the screws in. We also put liquid nail down to help.
Fast and easy! Now we have room for three stools and something better than green Formica 😂

To see more: //www.sawdustandwhiskey.com

• Hope
    11 hours ago

That turned out great!! I love the butcher-block and that it perfectly fits so you can sit down 'normally'. : )

• Robin
    10 hours ago

It’s beautiful.... BUT.

I did this exact same project myself about a year ago and after a while the poly (specifically chose outdoor type to stand up to abuse) finish started coming off. Whether due to repeated wipe-downs, the occasional errant scratch while cutting something or just wear and tear —- my island top now looks horrible. I am planning to sand it down to bare wood and start over. As much as I don’t like the idea of the upkeep of keeping the surface just ‘oiled’ for a finish, I think that’s what I’m going to go with.

I hope you have better luck - give an update in about a year and let us know how it’s holding up.