How to Flip an Outdated Dresser Into Whimsical Fabric With Paint!

$186

I was riding my bike to the nearby trails when I came across this antique dresser sitting on the curb. Hmmm... I was in the market for a dresser to store craft and sewing supplies, so I delayed my ride to check the dresser out!
The drawers were SO deep and super flat, which makes them easy to transform. And the dresser was a sturdy as a rock. Plus... free! All super good candidates I say!
SOLD! Ok, maybe more like good find + free = mine!
Once I got the dresser home, I placed it inside my sewing / guest room, dreaming up a design that would marry the rest of the room and the given task at hand...
And that's when it hit me. If the dresser is to store fabric, why not paint the dresser to look like fabric?!
So I did... and here's how it turned out!
Upon first glance, this was previously a little girl's dresser that was no longer desired.
But after careful inspection, it was so much more! Super flat deep drawers, and even pretty wooden carved details that resembled lace!
This was gonna be one fun revamp!
Once I got the dresser home, the decals were removed, then it was washed down, then lightly sanded with a palm sander to prep the surface for new paint.
Next up, the dresser was painted in Fusion Mineral Paint's Casement to really freshen it up and have it blend in with the rest of the room.
Because the drawers were about to do all the talking this round...
Every other drawer was painted by rotating black, then white.
Just for fun, I used a 'cross-hatching' method with the paint brush to create a fabric texture of sorts.
A different patterned stencil was placed on each drawer front. Fun, right?!

Stencils used (left to right):
Houndstooth-large
Buffalo Check - large
Argyle - large
Plaid Shirt

All stencils are from Funky Junk's Old Sign Stencils under PATTERNS HERE
How to stencil patterns:
Some patterns come as one stencil, while others come as two that are layered on top of each other.
For example, here is Argyle which comes in 2 pieces.
  1. I first stenciled every other diamond rotating in black and taupe.
  2. Once diamonds were complete, a second sheet of thin lines was stenciled on top in a slightly darker taupe.
Here is what finished Argyle and the 2-part stencil looks like. Such a beautiful effect!
Visit my blog post link below to watch a super helpful video of each pattern stencil used.
The blog post also includes all the paint colours.
Isn't that painted fabric fun?!
Let's put the dresser together to check it out...
And here is how the dresser turned out!
For drawer pulls, I didn't have enough of one kind on hand, so I just used random hooks, pulls, rope, plus even a spool of thread. The more random the better!
It was a crafting dresser after all, so why not have some fun?
The dresser is SO cool to look at, and boy does it pack a big punch where storage is concerned!
Best bike ride outcome ever!
Think you'll give a beat up old dresser a chance after seeing this? How would you revamp yours?
Click HERE to view more details on the dresser complete with video, and see the rest of the room transformation!
This use to be two tiny bedrooms turned into one room. It's a great makeover!

15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
Funky Junk Interiors - Donna

• Elaine

I LOVE THE MISMATCHED DRAW PULLS!!!! Just completed the whole creative process!!! Congrats!!

• Sandy

I just love this! I have a old dresser and now I have some ideas to work with!

• Beth

I have an old dresser that is glossy black. It has some minor damage on the front corner edges. The drawers overlap about 1/4" over the frame. I love your design. Would this work with real fabric, maybe with Modge Podge to hold it on with a sealer over it. I am not much of a DIYer. I would love some suggestions, I have never used stencils.

• Beth

Thank you for answering back. I agree, I think paper would be easier. Thanks again.

• Betty

I really love this dresser!!!!

• Kim

Never comment on peoples work - but this one is AWESOME!! Going for a bike ride! Great Job !