Don't Leave Your Front Door Naked After Christmas

$25

After all of the abundant fall decor, followed by the elaborate decor for Christmas, my front door (and porch) looked absolutely naked! I couldn’t have that! It was like my pretty front door was begging me to give it something! Although I use wreaths throughout the year, right after Christmas I don’t want to use a wreath, it says “Christmas” too much to me.
So, I gathered together some winter faux greenery, some pinecones, my pick machine, a piece of styrofoam and some snowy-looking ornaments. I use a block of styrofoam approximately 2″ x 4″ x 12″ for my swags. I am often able to re-use them as was the case with this one.
My trick for putting a circle to hang the swag from is to feed a wire through the foam with a button on it. The button keeps the wire from pulling through the foam. If you need more details on this procedure, you can see it at my  Candy Cane Christmas swag. 
The first thing I did after getting my hook on was to take a piece of Dollar Tree garland and attach it around the edge of the styrofoam. This was done with “S” pins or “floral pins” or “greening pins”. 
These are what I used to attach that garland. Attaching the garland around the edges will make sure that from the side, you will not see the styrofoam.  
All of that faux greenery you haven’t packed away from Christmas is just what is needed to make this happen now! I had this one REALLY long piece that had such thick metal stem, there was no way I could cut through it. You have likely come across those yourself. For that one I just laid it down against the styrofoam and used a number of the pins to secure it down on the foam. If yours is not holding, you could always feed a wire over the stem, push it through the foam and secure it on the back of the swag.
Using my  SteelPix machine, I added steel picks to a number of smaller pieces of greenery and started building up my swag, making sure I was hiding all of the styrofoam. 
For me, pinecones seem to say winter, especially if they have a little bit of sparkly snow on them! Take your pinecones and wrap a wire through and around the top of it, twist the wires and cut them to stick the pinecone into your swag.
When you have added all of your greenery and pinecones, it is time to add some snowballs! I had these Christmas ornaments that looked like they had snow on them. I threaded a wire through a couple of the ornaments at a time. I twisted the wire together and stuck the ends into the foam to secure it. 
Just like that, you have a wintery swag to make that front door not feel so naked.
My  blue front door is so much happier now that she is decked out for winter! Stay tuned, I will give her some Valentine’s love in February!  

Chloe Crabtree

• JoAnn Michael

I'm always looking for something different for my door. I like changing decor quite often. I like making my own door wreaths and will be making this one. Thanks for the idea.

• Sue

yes I can't wait to make this it's beautiful