Accent Wall

$45

I love white but I wanted to add a little depth to my dining room this year.

Accent Walls have literally changed my life, and this black evergreen color is probably my new go to. And as a plus I only spent $45 to get this project done. (I had most of the supplies on hand from other projects)

This is before the update. I didn't really know what I was missing until I finished my new accent wall.

For supplies you will need:

• leveler
  • measuring tape
  • painter's tape
  • Paint (black evergreen by valspar)
  • flat white paint
  • wood stain of your choice
  • spackle if needed
  • shur lined edger
  • finishing nails

Step 1: Prepare your wall

I started by taking down the previous wall decor in filling in any holes in the wall. You always want a nice smooth flat surface to work on

Step 2: Draw a line

Then once I did that, as you can see slightly in the photo above I drew a line using my leveler to give myself a stopping point for the white paint and the paint going under it. This little step helps me because I'm very visual and I knew where to stop painting

Step 3: Paint your walls with your white

For the corners and ceiling i used a shur lined edger. I highly recommend these if your new to painting they make painting any edges so easy.

Ok so while my first coat of white is drying I started the bottom part of the wall because I'm impatient and love to get my projects done thoroughly lol

Step 4: Paint the bottom color coat

Again you want to tape off anything you don't want to paint

Now these are the first coats for both top and bottom I recommend doing two coats so you have a nice smooth surface

Step 5: Stain your wood pieces

While my second coats of paint are drying I started to stain my wood pieces. I forgot to take a photo but to get the measurements needed for your wall space I just used a measuring tape. And got my pieces cut at Lowe's

I love rustoleum for wood stain and I love lighter color so I went with a golden pecan, but it's totally to your liking. Also did two coats of stain on these

Once that was done I let it dry overnight before attaching it to the wall

Step 6: Attach the wood pieces to the wall

To attach the wood pieces I use finishing nails

I asked my husband for help on this part so one of us could hold the wood while the other one nails it to the wall

And you're all done 🖤 I hope you guys enjoy this project as much as I did

15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away

• Lory

Such a beautiful color combination!! I live it so much I may have to steal the color scheme for my entryway. I like the look of natural wood that you added. Great project! Thanks for sharing!

• Little Homestead In Boise

How did you decide how high to go with the dark paint?

• Donna

I like what you did. It gives the space that "oomph" it needed.

• Irene Gronewald

What color is your paint,I thought it was black chalk board,but see it is "eggshell'...and it looks greenish? I absolutely love the look .

• Melin

It's the little things that make the biggest difference and this wall accent is definitely one of those little things to "speak" volumes. I really like how this wall turned out and how the lower, darker color creates more depth and interest to the room, with the subtle "break" between colors using the stained wood boards. You did an excellent job and created a more welcoming, cozier room ~ I love it! [PS: And love that beautiful radish artwork ~ how cool is that?!!]

Thank you for sharing and inspiring!

• Teresa Wall

Very nice and creative, I want to do a kids room like this with chalk paint and a ledge to sit their stuff on for the boarder