Cheap and Easy DIY Wall Art With Wood Shims

$20

If you’re looking for a texture filled piece of wall art that will make a big impact on a tiny little budget, then this cheap and easy DIY wood shim wall art project is perfect! With minimal supplies and skill you can have an awesome piece of artwork to display in no time!
Decide on a pattern of your choice. Initially, I planned to go with a herringbone pattern like this. But eventually decided on something a little different. I tried to plan my design for the best fit of my wood shim length.  
Once you’ve picked a pattern, it’s time to glue your shims down to the plywood backer board. I simply found the center of my board and glued each individual shim down in the pattern of choice. 
Some alternative options here would be to use liquid nails or a nail gun. If using a nail gun, ensure that your backer board is thick enough, otherwise, your nail length may be too long. Trim any additional overhang from the edges so that the wood shims and plywood backer board have a clean flush edge on all four sides. I simply used a jigsaw on mine. The shims are thin and cut easily.  
Framing the piece will hide the raw edges of the plywood and shims, giving the piece an overall more finished look. I used this thin lattice trim. and attached two opposite sides first, then measured for the other two lengths before cutting. I simply nailed these into the plywood using my nail gun, but you could easily hammer in a couple of tack nails or possibly even get away with just gluing. 
That’s it!! A super easy DIY project that you can complete in under an hour.  If you love easy DIY projects be sure to check out my DIY bracket shelves and how I painted my ceramic tile the easy way!

Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Jessica | The Martin Nest

• Dian

For a school gift project for the teacher? Have each student sign their name on a shim BEFORE gluing it down. This will help to prevent errors of any kind on the finished piece. Pre-test the pen / marker used to prevent the ink from bleeding when applying a top coat. Don't neglect adding the year it was made!.

• Jennifer
    Just now

Thank you. I love this. What a great idea. I think I'll try this for my outside concrete bathroom floor but sand, stain & seal. Thank you:)