Cheap and Easy DIY Wall Art With Wood Shims

$20

If you’re looking for a texture filled piece of wall art that will make a big impact on a tiny little budget, then this cheap and easy DIY wood shim wall art project is perfect! With minimal supplies and skill you can have an awesome piece of artwork to display in no time!
Decide on a pattern of your choice. Initially, I planned to go with a herringbone pattern like this. But eventually decided on something a little different. I tried to plan my design for the best fit of my wood shim length.  
Once you’ve picked a pattern, it’s time to glue your shims down to the plywood backer board. I simply found the center of my board and glued each individual shim down in the pattern of choice. 
Some alternative options here would be to use liquid nails or a nail gun. If using a nail gun, ensure that your backer board is thick enough, otherwise, your nail length may be too long. Trim any additional overhang from the edges so that the wood shims and plywood backer board have a clean flush edge on all four sides. I simply used a jigsaw on mine. The shims are thin and cut easily.  
Framing the piece will hide the raw edges of the plywood and shims, giving the piece an overall more finished look. I used this thin lattice trim. and attached two opposite sides first, then measured for the other two lengths before cutting. I simply nailed these into the plywood using my nail gun, but you could easily hammer in a couple of tack nails or possibly even get away with just gluing. 
That’s it!! A super easy DIY project that you can complete in under an hour.  If you love easy DIY projects be sure to check out my DIY bracket shelves and how I painted my ceramic tile the easy way!

Jessica @ The Martin Nest

• Angie Weisheit

I love this!! I'm a teacher's aide and I think this would be an easy project for a 3rd grade class to do, with my help, for their awesome teacher. They could each glue down a couple of pieces of wood, put some stain or clearcoat on it and make it a memory piece from this school year. Also could glue some clips on it for pictures!

Biggest hurdle will be finding time to work on it when she's not around which is rare! 😍 🙊🙈

• Jessica @ The Martin Nest

I love that idea!! You could also use hot glue if you didn’t want to mess with wood glue. Another follower said she used foam board as her backer to kee the weight lighter and cheaper too! 👏🏼

• Dian

For a school gift project for the teacher? Have each student sign their name on a shim BEFORE gluing it down. This will help to prevent errors of any kind on the finished piece. Pre-test the pen / marker used to prevent the ink from bleeding when applying a top coat. Don't neglect adding the year it was made!.