Bathroom Blanket Ladder

$10

We are currently renting the house we live in. That presents some designing and decorating challenges. We needed a little more storage in our bathrooms and found a way to add some design and decor as well as a little bit of storage. Come take a peek at how we customized a blanket ladder to fit over the toilet.
Alright, first things first...let’s talk about what you’ll need for this project.Tools:• circular saw • drills •hand sander •5/32 drill bitMaterials:•2- 2x3x8 pine boards •1- 2x2x8 pine board (or 2x2x4 if you can find that size)• 4 general purpose screws size • stain (desired color) or paint
I started by cutting the 2x3’s down to 72” (6 feet). I didn’t angle the ends, just cut straight.
I used a circular saw to cut the wood.Before I cut the 2x2 board, I measured the top of my toilet to make sure the rungs would be long enough and make the ladder wide enough to fit around the toilet.I cut 2 pieces of the 2x2 at 22” long.
Next, I used an electric hand sander and 220 grit sanding pads to sand the wood smooth.
Deciding it best to pre-drill holes for the screws to help keep the wood from splitting, I measured both the 2x3 boards and marked the holes at 48”.
Then measured and marked for holes at 64”. I only wanted two rungs and I wanted the first one high enough that I could still place things on the back of the toilet.
Drill the holes in the 2x3’s going all the way through the board, using the 5/32 bit. I chose a bit that was a smaller width than the screw. This is what my husband taught me to do, so the hole isn’t too big for the screw.
I made two ladders. Here’s the drilled holes. You’ll want to sand the marking lines off once you’ve screwed all the boards in place. This ensures the markings won’t be seen through the stain.
Then drill holes on the ends of each of the 2x2’s. I found the center by taking a ruler and marking a line diagonally from corner to corner. The center of the X is where I placed the hole, drilling only an inch deep.
Using the screws, attach the rungs to the sides.
Once attached, I took the ladder into the bathroom to make sure the width was right and that it fit and wasn’t too wide.
I chose to stain each ladder a different color using minwax Jacobean for one and classic gray for the other. After the stain had dried it was time to bring them inside. (I had both colors on hand so I didn’t need to buy more.)
Adding the baskets, that we found on sale at Hobby Lobby, gave us storage space for hand towels, wash clothes, toilet paper, lotion and a few decorative items too. Because I knew I would be adding baskets and using the rungs as “shelving” that is why we opted for the 2x2 instead of a round rod. The 1x2’s I felt may not be as supportive and I liked the look of the thicker board (2x2).
Here’s the gray one in a smaller bathroom. I love how they turned out and how they took the space from dull and boring to beautiful. To see more of what we do and how we style our home check out our Instagram page @beaus_and_belles

To see more: http://www.instagram.com/beaus_and_belles/