Marbled Resin Vase

$10
1 Day

Another ridiculously easy tutorial today! How to make elegant looking vases with marbled colours running through them in any shape and size.
These unique creations are easy to do and easy to personalise if you’re making them as gifts.With the materials you would buy for this project, I would estimate that you could get a 10 to 15 vase yield.
Also, if you prefer to watch a video tutorial that I have created on this project, please click my YouTube link below.
This really was so easy to make!!!
YOUTUBE
Please check out my latest YouTube video for this exact project.
Hit like and subscribe and share me with all your unsuspecting friends
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
  • Resin, pigments and powders - for 20% off, use my code HANNAH20 at checkout from The Epoxy Resin Store
  • Silicone cups, mat and spatula
  • Plastic measuring jug
  • Mixing sticks
  • Blow torch
  • Heat gun
  • Glue gun
  • Gems
  • Cling film
  • Non-stick sheeting
  • Gloves

STEP ONE - GLUE
Using your glue gun, pipe out a large circle onto your non-stick sheeting.
Once the glue is dry and cold, set the whole thing aside for later.
STEP TWO - MIX YOUR RESIN
Into your plastic measuring jug, add one cup of hardener and then one cup of resin. As with any resin purchase, you will always receive both the hardener and resin parts.
Mix well for about 5 minutes remembering to scrape the bottom and sides of your jug.
Once your mixture is fully combined, divide it roughly between your silicone cups.
You can choose any mix or number of colours you like but if you want to use the same as me, details for these are below:
  • CUP 1 - Rose gold powder pigment
  • CUP 2 - Pink glitter
  • CUP 3 - White and tan liquid pigment
  • CUP 4 - White liquid pigment
  • CUP 5 - Orange food colouring
  • CUP 6 - Antique gold powder pigment

STEP THREE - PREP YOUR POUR
Once you’ve mixed all your colours, pour them one by one into your original mixing jug - no need to dirty another vessel!
Add them in any order you like and in any way you like. I decided to do lots of little amounts of each colour in a random order. Keep going until you’ve used up all your colours.
STEP FOUR - POUR YOUR RESIN
Bring back your glue ring and remove it from the non-stick sheeting. Cut off a large piece of cling film and lay your glue ring on top, then flip the whole thing over so that the glue ring is now on the bottom and the film is on top.
You should now have what will act as a very shallow bath in which to pour your resin.
Carefully pour out all your resin into your shallow bath. You should start to see some nice marbling colours appear at this point as the resin blends together slightly.
STEP FIVE - SPREAD AND GEM
Using your heat gun, pop some bubbles whilst you gently spread the resin out.
Be careful not to direct heat too close to the cling film as it may melt and warp.
You can also slide your hand under the cling film or lift up the edges to move the resin around. Do whatever works best for you but be careful not to push the resin over the glue ring edge as it needs to remain contained whilst curing.
Once you’re happy with how the resin is laying, add copious amounts of gems all around the edge, and then pop any remaining bubbles with your blow torch.
Now leave your resin to cure for about 5 hours so that it’s tacky, not runny.
STEP SIX - MOLD
Find an object that you want your vase’s shape to be based on. I used a bumper pack of multi vitamins as it was exactly the right shape and size for what I wanted.
Carefully pick up your resin sheet and lay it on top of your chosen object. Make sure that you lay it down cling-film-side first so the resin doesn’t stick to your object.
The resin may have stiffened a bit at this point so if this is the case, use your heat gun to apply heat where you want folds to appear. Heat will temporarily soften the resin and make it more malleable.
Once you are happy with the shape you have created, place objects under the folds and creases to stop the resin slowly drooping and bending out of shape during the final curing process.
Now allow to cure for the remaining 7 hours, at least.
STEP SEVEN - PEEL AND REVEAL
Once your resin vase has fully cured and hardened, remove the cling film and glue gun shenanigans from it’s underbelly and admire your beautiful creation!
I hope you feel inspired to try this at home and if you have any questions or comments, please leave them below, I would love to hear from you!
As well as my YouTube, please check out my instagram - @hannah_somerville88
Thanks so much for reading!
Happy crafting! X

30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters

• Joy

You are so talented, Hannah. You make this look easy! Question - could I incorporate my company's logo somehow? If I apply a clear poly sticker - so that

it shows through the outside bottom - would this work? If I put the sticker down on step #3 - then pour - do you think the sticker would stay in place? THANKS for your creative share; we all appreciate you!

• Hannah Somerville

Fantastic! Just don't leave it there too long or it may get stuck

I would love to see a picture once it's done

• Liz

How big is your circle using 2 cups of resin? I love this idea, have done with cement, but now I am loving resin.

• Hannah Somerville

Hi Liz. My circle is about 13" in diameter and the cured vase is nice and sturdy with those proportions. I think 2 cups of resin with an even bigger circle would have also worked and maybe given the vase a more translucent look which could be interesting.

I love the cement versions of these vases too, I wish I had a garden to completely litter them with!!! One day....

• Robyn Garner

You said to make a glue ring on "non-stick sheeting". What would this be?

Your creation is beautiful and you do make it look easy. It intimidates me lol!

• Hannah Somerville

Hi Robyn. I used baking paper to pipe my glue onto. It peeled right off when it cooled. I urge you to have a go, you'll see you had nothing to be worried about

• Allinthefamilysingers

I love resin too but I am a little scared of it I am afraid I would make a big mess I love what you have done tho it is beautiful. Thanks for sharing it.

• Hannah Somerville

It can be messy and sticky but just always wear your gloves and don't let it touch anything it shouldn't  saying that, it cures and hardens so the stickiness doesn't last. Also, if you invest in reusable plastic or silicone sheeting and lay this down everywhere, it doesn't really matter if it drips etc as it will peel right off these surfaces once cured. You've got this!

• Necee Marie

Wow!! I absolutely love this!!! Kuddos 👏🏻👏🏻