DIY Board and Batten

$100

If you’re looking to make a big statement in a room with a small budget, a DIY board and batten wall treatment is the perfect solution. I created this board and batten wall treatment using budget friendly MDF trim and scrap shiplap left over from a previous project.I started out with a builder basic guest bathroom. This space is small, with not a lot of room for decor or shelving. I knew a DIY Board and Batten would be perfect to draw the eye up in this small space and dress it up on a budget.I priced this project at $100, but if you have materials on hand from a previous project like I did, it could end up costing you much less.Here is a before image.
Decide on a pattern before making any cuts or purchasing materials. It may help for you to mark a pattern out using painter’s tape or sketching it out beforehand.
If you’re using a heavier material, it’s good if you can line your pattern up with the studs in the wall.  I used some scrap shiplap I had leftover from another project, combined with some budget-friendly MDF trim from the local hardware store. I cut my scrap boards to the width of each wall length using a miter saw. After marking the studs, I leveled the boards with the top at 6 feet tall and nailed them into the studs using a nail gun.  Once this was done I repeated the process on the top and bottom of this board using the 1 x 2 MDF. The 1 x 2 is slightly thicker than the scrap wood, so it added a bit of depth and dimension to the pattern, but also allowed my vertically placed boards to line up flush with the trim. 
The vertical boards were placed using a bit of liquid nails and the nail gun.
 I chose not to remove my baseboards for this project, and opted for a 45 degree cut on the bottom of the battens to minimize the overhang.  
After the pattern was in place I used wood filler to cover any nail holes and seams between the wood. Once that dried I sanded down smooth with 220 grit sandpaper. After that, I caulked all of the seams using a white wall and trim caulk. These two steps are time-consuming, but if done right, it will give your project a more polished and professional look.  
The next step is to paint! All of my wood was pre-primed, and I used a paint & primer combo, but prime first if needed.
Tape off if you’re messy like me, cut in your trim areas, and paint larger surface areas with a good quality roller.  I used leftover paint from various projects. Sherwin Williams Tricorn Black in a flat finish for the lower half and Pure White for the Top.  
I continued this pattern and process around the entire bathroom. I love how the taller black trim draws your eye upwards, and helps this tiny room appear a little larger.  
For more images about the paint process and views from other angles, be sure to visit the blog post. You can also check out how I painted that vanity countertop for $5 using a can of spray paint, and those tile floors as well! (SO easy!)

17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
Jessica | The Martin Nest

• Robyn Garner

Beautiful and striking work! Question: I thought we were supposed to use an eggshell or semi-gloss in bathrooms. How has the flat paint held up with showers, etc.?

• Michele Arno Birch

What did you do behind sink ? Always trying to figure out what to do in our extra bathroom and I love this idea..

• Becky

Yes a perfect project for me to do in my bathroom.

Question,, did you paint only that wall dark