DIY Board and Batten

$100

If you’re looking to make a big statement in a room with a small budget, a DIY board and batten wall treatment is the perfect solution. I created this board and batten wall treatment using budget friendly MDF trim and scrap shiplap left over from a previous project.I started out with a builder basic guest bathroom. This space is small, with not a lot of room for decor or shelving. I knew a DIY Board and Batten would be perfect to draw the eye up in this small space and dress it up on a budget.I priced this project at $100, but if you have materials on hand from a previous project like I did, it could end up costing you much less.Here is a before image.
Decide on a pattern before making any cuts or purchasing materials. It may help for you to mark a pattern out using painter’s tape or sketching it out beforehand.
If you’re using a heavier material, it’s good if you can line your pattern up with the studs in the wall.  I used some scrap shiplap I had leftover from another project, combined with some budget-friendly MDF trim from the local hardware store. I cut my scrap boards to the width of each wall length using a miter saw. After marking the studs, I leveled the boards with the top at 6 feet tall and nailed them into the studs using a nail gun.  Once this was done I repeated the process on the top and bottom of this board using the 1 x 2 MDF. The 1 x 2 is slightly thicker than the scrap wood, so it added a bit of depth and dimension to the pattern, but also allowed my vertically placed boards to line up flush with the trim. 
The vertical boards were placed using a bit of liquid nails and the nail gun.
 I chose not to remove my baseboards for this project, and opted for a 45 degree cut on the bottom of the battens to minimize the overhang.  
After the pattern was in place I used wood filler to cover any nail holes and seams between the wood. Once that dried I sanded down smooth with 220 grit sandpaper. After that, I caulked all of the seams using a white wall and trim caulk. These two steps are time-consuming, but if done right, it will give your project a more polished and professional look.  
The next step is to paint! All of my wood was pre-primed, and I used a paint & primer combo, but prime first if needed.
Tape off if you’re messy like me, cut in your trim areas, and paint larger surface areas with a good quality roller.  I used leftover paint from various projects. Sherwin Williams Tricorn Black in a flat finish for the lower half and Pure White for the Top.  
I continued this pattern and process around the entire bathroom. I love how the taller black trim draws your eye upwards, and helps this tiny room appear a little larger.  
For more images about the paint process and views from other angles, be sure to visit the blog post. You can also check out how I painted that vanity countertop for $5 using a can of spray paint, and those tile floors as well! (SO easy!)

Jessica @ The Martin Nest

• Robyn Garner

Beautiful and striking work! Question: I thought we were supposed to use an eggshell or semi-gloss in bathrooms. How has the flat paint held up with showers, etc.?

• Michele Arno Birch

What did you do behind sink ? Always trying to figure out what to do in our extra bathroom and I love this idea..

• Becky

Yes a perfect project for me to do in my bathroom.

Question,, did you paint only that wall dark