Quick Dining Table Upgrade

$1

Here I go again with the self adhesive paper! Always to the rescue when I need a quick or temporary fix..Like one of my other projects, I'm still house sitting for my father and I have been resisting this urge to bring his condo into the present. I'm surprised at how being in an area that looks dated and blah has affected my mood so I've been trying to make some temporary changes to lighten this place up! I've painted his living room (he knows about that one, I couldn't handle the peach walls!) and upcycled some treasures I found at thrift stores into décor items to liven it up! Which leads me to this next project. This is his dining table that he will not allow me to paint so I had to get creative.
Before: drink marks, many scratches and dark!
I wiped the table down a couple of times to make sure I removed  anything that may prevent the paper from sticking, and dried it well. I already had the paper from other projects and the only tool I needed was a plastic card. I cut the first piece a bit bigger then the section I was working with incase there were any mistakes. I started on the left and worked my way right, smoothing as I went along.
The table has an opening to extend so I placed the paper a bit past the opening in order to fold it down before pushing it back together so it would stay nice and flat.
There is a little ridge on the table, a decorative trim, so I put the paper past that so I could trim it for a nice finish.
Close up of the paper over the lip
One thing I found hard with this was keeping the paper straight as I was smoothing it out. The plastic card definitely helps smooth it down though and makes it nice and flat. If you see any bubbles, you can go over it again with the card or reposition the paper to get it smoother. Never fully remove the paper backing off the whole piece, because it will stick together and good luck getting that unstuck without damaging the paper. Learnt that the hard way! Just unroll a bit at a time as you go along. Once my first piece was down, I used a utility knife to trim the edges.
Close up of the trimmed edge.
I cut the next piece to size and this time started at the top of the seam and worked down instead of left to right. The table is more oval shape so the second piece was smaller and easier to maneuver.
After repositioning a few times, once I felt like it had a tight enough seam, I smoothed out that half with the plastic card working my way towards me.I repeated the process on the other half of the table included with a bit of swearing here and there due to trying to keep the paper straight as I smoothed it on. Basically I have no tips on how to do that so feel free to let me know!I definitely would have preferred to paint the table and reupholster the chairs but I am happy with the outcome, it definitely looks better to me.
It's been quite awhile since I did this and I'm happy to say the paper is holding up quite well. Very easy to clean with no worry about water marks! I still use a coaster for warm things though.

How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada

• Karen

Since your father did not want you to paint the table, wasn’t it a big risk to cover it with adhesive paper? How easily can it be removed? Will there be adhesive residue? Ho durable is the paper? Will it melt or warp under a mug of hot coffee or tea?

• DebbB

I used the contact marble look under my kitchen sink. It was fine and beautiful until had a big pipe with slow leak we had to replace the wood under the paper too. But live and learn.

• Sue

Did you overlap at the seams? Or position it edge to edge. btw it looks great.

• Mihaela Parker

Thank you. I put it edge to edge which took a few trys to get it perfectly lined up lol

• Linda

Did you use the vinyl wallpaper? The stuff is amazing! My husband and I put it on a wall in the bathroom. It was easy and fun! I used a small flat side wall paper tool.

• Mihaela Parker

That looks great! It wasn't wallpaper, just a self adhesive contact paper.

That's a great idea though! I'll keep it in mind for the next projects, I'm a little addicted :)

• Susie

FYI, Two of my favorites are men's rings, size 10. They work......and look great!! 👍😊

• Nancy

You did a very nice job of updating your Fathers table. I'm sure he likes it. No more ring marks etc. It will brighten up his room.

• Mihaela Parker

Thank you Nancy! That is exactly what I wanted, something lighter to brighten the room that we both could live with.