Colorful Dresser Makeover

$65

I've had this curvy French Provincial dresser for a couple months now and finally moved it to the top of my list and got it done! I really didn't have too much of a plan or vision when I started and decided to just wing it and see what happened. I hope you like it!
This was my first time using the Homeright spray booth and I absolutely loved it! I paint outside and no matter how careful I am, I always manage to get overspray on something and this completely prevents it! This dresser had a fairly shiny finish so I started by sanding the entire piece (more so on the top though) with my random orbital sander.
Once I removed the sheen I thoroughly cleaned the entire piece and then went over it with a tack rag. If you've never used one before it's an amazing tool to have if you paint furniture, especially if you spray. It removes and remaining dust or particles that you might have missed when cleaning.
With this piece I decided to start with a pretty aqua blue base coat. I prepared my paint for the sprayer by mixing the colors first and then diluting it with about 1 part water to 5 parts paint. The amount of water you use will depend on the thickness of the paint and also the sprayer you're using. A good tip is to always start with less water and test it in your sprayer. If it doesn't spray right you can always pour it back out and add a little more water to your mix. If it's too watery your paint won't cover as well and you might get a lot of drips. I use a HVLP sprayer.
Even though there is already a small filter in the sprayer I always use a cone filter when loading my paint to keep out any little chunks that might be in the mixture.
Time to spray! Once you get a good feel for your sprayer it's so easy and the finish you can achieve is nearly flawless. I like to do several light coats over the entire piece, letting each coat dry in between. Try and move at a stead even pace while keeping the spray gun the same distance away from the piece as much as possible for nice even coats.
I loved this base color so much that I ALMOST decided to leave it as is but I quickly changes my mind and decided to have some fun with it and add some more color and texture. Spraying is a great way to get your name coat on quickly and smooth instead of painting it on by hand with a brush, especially on a larger piece.
I started layering in different colors one by one over the entire piece. For this technique it's very important to have a spray bottle with water on hand to help blend the colors. I use a fine mister and it works GREAT.
Here it is after adding and blending some green!
Next I added some coral and lilac!
Once I was happy with the colors I moved on to my metallics. I decided to use both copper and gold on this piece. I usually always add my metallics as the last step before distressing and sealing. I tend to use them on the high points and also on the corners and grooves of a piece to bring out all the details.
After adding metallics and lighty distressing I added clear wax to the entire piece. I usually wait until the next morning and then buff it out for an amazing sheen and beautiful finish. If the piece you're working on will get a lot of use or you want a more durable sealer you can also spray or brush on a coat or two of polyurethane or poly acrylic.
Sometimes I leave the hardware on a piece while I paint it if that's the look I want to achieve, but I decided to remove them and paint them separately here. When I was spraying my blue base coat, I also lightly sprayed all of the handles as well but made sure I didn't coat the entire surface. After the blue was dry I went in with a small artist's brush and added the same gold and copper that I used on the piece. I love how they tie in but still stand out on their own.
Her she is, all finished and staged!! Please check out my Instagram for more painted furniture and DIY projects and thanks for stopping by and checking out my dresser makeover!

To see more: //instagram.com/beautymark_furniture

• Sandra

Love it! How can I acheive this look WO a spray gun??

• CoWanda

You can also use Floetrol paint additive to add to you paint. It will not change the color of the paint at all. I recently painted my oak bathroom vanity in a beautiful chocolate brown color using latex paint. I mixed 2 parts paint to 1 part Floetrol, and mixed it very well. When you use the Floetrol, you need to shake the container very well, then I use a fine strainer and pour out what I need into another container. Due to my OCD, 😁 I then strain it again for smaller lumps, as I add it to the paint. I painted with a brush, and there is not one brush mark in the entire piece!!! It looks as if I used a sprayer, and I did not. So you can get a flawless finish while using a brush, without adding water that will thin it down. You can also use the Floetrol with other types of paint; i.e., chalk, enamel, latex.

• Phyllis Hardy Quast

If you were in Virginia? I would buy this today...

• Dorothy Sittler

Now I wish that I could reach the French Provincial furniture that I had in 1972. Is that dating me?