Demilune Table Makeover

$75

This reproduction table had seen better days. The veneer was bubbling, the top was scratched and was sitting in someone's garage, being used for unloading groceries. I purchased it knowing I could make it look adorable with a farmhouse finish.
Herein lies a damaged reproduction piece, let us pay our respects and make it pretty again  Honestly, the detail in the wood and the cute farmhouse legs are what drew me in. I knew that with a little paint and attention, it would be a cute addition to our guest room.
We decided to take apart the table for easier access to the top, since the legs were in pretty decent shape. It is always a good idea to clean and sand your piece. I used Krud Kutter, then lightly sanded the entire apron (scuff sand), and sanded the surface top a bit more to smooth out the bubbled veneer.
Anyone who has sanded round spindles, or railings know it isn't easy! I have found that using a flexible sanding pad which folds around the area makes it a lot easier. After sanding be sure to remove any sanding dust with a tack cloth. I chose a fine grit to scuff the leg knowing that I would be using dark wax shortly.
Here it is in the process of being waxed. A small wax brush was perfect because it fit into the grooves of the legs. Dark wax highlights the wood while giving it a protective coat. Make sure to wipe back the dark wax once applied to remove any excess and if you like a subtle sheen, you can buff it too.
Next, I took a 220 grit sandpaper and distressed the table for a little added interest and to give it a worn look/feel. I love the way the dark wood undertone plays off the new color nicely. I then applied a thin coat of top coat on the table to protect the paint finish. Then, it was time to shade the detail using the same dark wax we used on the legs. Again, I chose a small wax brush to reach the crevices of the carved wood.
After brushing in the wax, (I like to brush it on in small circles) I took a shop towel and removed any excess in a straight line, because that is the way the wax will dry and you want to cut down on the likelihood of seeing swirl marks in the wax. I then buffed it very lightly for a sheen.
Here is the the table with its new look. Thanks for following along!

Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?

To see more: //www.instagram.com/AminiDesignAshburn

• JoeAnna Taylor
    4 hours ago

Amazing transformation! Incredible job!! The legs look spectacular with the dark wax, and love the shade of blue you used!!

• Jacx
    Just now

Very lovely! Just a perfect combo. It's sad when beautiful furniture has been so mistreated but you rode in and rescued it!