Demilune Table Makeover

$75

This reproduction table had seen better days. The veneer was bubbling, the top was scratched and was sitting in someone's garage, being used for unloading groceries. I purchased it knowing I could make it look adorable with a farmhouse finish.
Herein lies a damaged reproduction piece, let us pay our respects and make it pretty again  Honestly, the detail in the wood and the cute farmhouse legs are what drew me in. I knew that with a little paint and attention, it would be a cute addition to our guest room.
We decided to take apart the table for easier access to the top, since the legs were in pretty decent shape. It is always a good idea to clean and sand your piece. I used Krud Kutter, then lightly sanded the entire apron (scuff sand), and sanded the surface top a bit more to smooth out the bubbled veneer.
Anyone who has sanded round spindles, or railings know it isn't easy! I have found that using a flexible sanding pad which folds around the area makes it a lot easier. After sanding be sure to remove any sanding dust with a tack cloth. I chose a fine grit to scuff the leg knowing that I would be using dark wax shortly.
Here it is in the process of being waxed. A small wax brush was perfect because it fit into the grooves of the legs. Dark wax highlights the wood while giving it a protective coat. Make sure to wipe back the dark wax once applied to remove any excess and if you like a subtle sheen, you can buff it too.
Next, I took a 220 grit sandpaper and distressed the table for a little added interest and to give it a worn look/feel. I love the way the dark wood undertone plays off the new color nicely. I then applied a thin coat of top coat on the table to protect the paint finish. Then, it was time to shade the detail using the same dark wax we used on the legs. Again, I chose a small wax brush to reach the crevices of the carved wood.
After brushing in the wax, (I like to brush it on in small circles) I took a shop towel and removed any excess in a straight line, because that is the way the wax will dry and you want to cut down on the likelihood of seeing swirl marks in the wax. I then buffed it very lightly for a sheen.
Here is the the table with its new look. Thanks for following along!

To see more: //www.instagram.com/AminiDesignAshburn

• Hope

Hi...

I love how it turned out and REALLY LOVE that blue!! Can you tell me what brand and color it is, please..? I have a secretary desk that I'd love to use blue on but, I hadn't found the right shade (yet)...yours seems to fit the bill. : )

• Weazie

Any steps with regard to the painting phase of this project? I didn't see any directions for that step. Thanks!

• Lisa Fauerbach

I just love this!!😍😍😍😍