Refinished TV Stand

$80

This piece is one of my first commission pieces that someone had already purchased, and then asked me to refinish it for them. Generally I like to choose the pieces that I work on because I look for certain things like, wood details, metal knobs, dove and tail drawers.

EXTRAS:

-- The shelves are transferable, and did on shelf hooks. I took the shelves out and painted both sides of them.

-- I bought new shelf hooks for this piece to add a little more detail. I found them at Lowe's.

This piece has a beautiful solid wood top, and a pressed wood body, because the body of the piece is made of pressed wood I was unable to sand it down, and instead had to find another alternative to priming it. I removed all of the hardware, and began applying the deglosser.

Liqiud Deglosser is a game changer, y'all! I bought this at Lowe's after a little online research and it worked perfectly! You can literally see it taking effect on the the piece of furniture. Follow the directions and you will have no problems!

After I put the deglosser on the entire piece, I began taping so I could start painting!

I used Avil Grey chalk paint made by Kyrlon for the body of the piece.

This Gel Stain by Minwax is one of my go-to stains. The gel stain makes the top more durable, which is perfect for a high volume piece of furniture that is going to get a lot of traffic. This gel stain also hides minor imperfections. I love the way this darker stain still let the wood grain show through, but added a bit more contrast from the blue.

After I painted the entire body of tv stand, and let it dry for about 3 hours.

I went back and put this sealing wax over the entire area that had chalk paint on it. The tricky thing with this is that it sets after only 24 hours, but takes 2 weeks to cure entirely. My customers were eager to pick it up, so I was sure to warn them of this to be extra care when placing things on it to ensure it did not get scratched before it was completely cured.

I loved using this sealing wax because it goes on easy. A little goes a long ways. I bought this at Lowe's.

I brought this piece inside because it was staring to get cold outside, and everything takes longer to cure and dry when it is cold. I love the outcome, and my customers did too!

To see more: https://www.instagram.com/mt_girl_in_a_garage/?hl=en

• Carol

what did you do to the top before using the stain?

• Suz

At what point In the process would I sand away the edges to give it a more worn shabby chic look? Thank you

• AlyssaC
      29 minutes ago

Suz, I would give the edges a light sanding before I add the finishing coat of "wax". That way the wax can be sure to seal the entire piece and the lightly sanded spots are less likely to chip.

Good luck with your project!

• Deborah Seifert

I want to refinish my dresser but I want to keep the oak color. It just needs to be refreshed, it's over 35 years old. Can you advise?