Upcycle a Buffet Table

$50
1 Day

We have an oak buffet table bought probably about fifteen years ago, at the time I thought my taste in furniture would never change. But it has! There is nothing wrong with this sideboard but it just doesn’t feel like me anymore... I causally mentioned painting it purple to my husband. I am delighted to say he agreed.
Upcycling a sideboard (as it is known here in the UK) is incredible easy to do but you do need to spend time in the prep. It is well worth taking the time to remove the handles and thoroughly clean the buffet table. Any grease on it will prevent paint adhering.
As I planned on knocking back the edges to give a worn look I chose to paint the edges of the furniture in grey fusion mineral paint.
Once this had dried I used a beeswax block along the areas I intended to sand back to. This acts as a resist and helps with the sanding process.
Next up to paint the buffet table with twilight geranium fusion mineral paint, and allow to dry for thirty minutes.Sand back along the edges, where you applied the beeswax.
Once fully dry reattach your handles, or fit new. I personally love these grey leather handles.
Lastly style the buffet table. We have treated ourselves to indoor houseplants as our 15th wedding anniversary gift to ourselves. The once dull items of the living room is transformed with the bold colour choice complimented with green plants.
For a more detailed tutorial check out the you tube video (don’t forget to subscribe to my channel) or read the detailed tutorial “ how to upcycle a sideboard”

31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
Vickymcreations

• Christine
    Christine

One more thing; did you use any particular product to clean your sideboard? Thank you, Christine

• Vickymcreations
      Vickymcreations

Have to admit at this has had light use I only used washing up liquid and then regretted it and had to redo one draw!

• Wanda
    Wanda

What is the wax you used?

• Canadalady
    Canadalady

I love the color you choose. My mother was from England and I can remember her calling a cabinet like yours a sideboard. Beautiful job.

• Jeannie.mcquaid
    Jeannie.mcquaid

I found a similar buffet that had a terribly marked up top and converted it to a breakfast bar for my daughter's apartment. I stained and finished the back panel and put a counter top on it. Gives them a place to sit and eat plus usable storage because the kitchen is just a tiny walk through galley.