Asked on Jan 21, 2020

How do you remove old wallpaper paste that is fairly thick?

Lifestyles HomesKathy Gunter LawWilliam
+3

I;m removing old wallcovering from a rescue mission, it has built up paste behind the paper, they want it painted. Any hints on easy removal of that paste?

• Dee

Use a magic tiger scorer that you can get at Home Depot or Lowes. Mix 1/2 and half Downy fabric softener and warm water. Spray the wall paper.. Let sit for about 10 minutes. Use a plastic scraper, buy it in the auto department they are stronger there, scrape off the remaining wallpaper and paste. It should come off very easily. And smell terrific.

• White vinegar and warm water - mix 1/4 cup of vinegar to 2 cups of warm water and spray on the walls. Use a scraper to remove the glue.

• Sharon

When I am doing a clients job, I sand it off with a small hand-held electric sander if it didn't scrape off with the softening solution on the second try.

If the walls are not smooth enough for paint, I then skim coat the wals with joint compound and a 12" drywall knife. Then 2 coats of primer.

I use one cup of vinegar to one gallon hot water. Spray or sponge on and let it sit to work. Some will wipe off and some will need scraping off.

• Kathy Gunter Law

Peel as much as possible from the walls.

If you can't get to the backing, you may need to score the paper with a tool. Paper Tiger is easy to find. Light pressure because you don't want to damage the wall behind the paper.

Mix 50/50 fabric softener & warm water in a spray bottle or garden sprayer. I've read that vinegar is as effective but I have never used it.

Allow the mixture to sit for 5 - 10 minutes so that it saturates the adhesive on the paper backing.

Scrape with a plastic scraper.

Once it is all removed, wash the walls with warm soapy water (blue Dawn is my go-to) and a microfiber cloth.

• Lifestyles Homes

Yes, score it and use vinegar solutions. Easy on the scraping when close to the drywall.