DIY Hanging Curio Shelf

$4

This is a fun little project that won't break the bank. It's a 1 board project and works great for displaying lightweight curios and bric-a-brac in your home. We used a pallet board to create this project. But of course it will work well with any wood board - think old barn board or a piece of scrap wood from another project you've completed around the house, like this floating laundry room shelf!
This project is just adorable. While it's not meant to hold heavy items, it will hold small things you wish to display. Think ceramic ornamental items and other cute things you have tucked in boxes around your house.My friend uses hers to for those silly solar powered plastic toy things that move when the sun hits them (you know what I'm talking about!)
Materials:
  • Pallet Board – 10″ long
  • Sisal/Twine – one 60″ pieces
  • 4 Cup hooks
  • Sand paper
  • Paint or Stain
  • Personal protective equipment (safety glasses, gloves etc..)
Cut your wooden board to about 10 inches long.
Sand the board smooth to get rid of any splintery areas.
Paint the board with your choice of color paint. Use a dry brush technique for a rustic look, or paint the entire board for a more modern look.
Attach the hooks at each corner of the board like in this photo. Alternatively you can use eye hooks. I just happen to have these hooks laying around collecting dust. Use what you have on hand!
Grab your piece of 60″ twine and tie the ends together with a strong knot. Loop the twine through the cup hooks at either end of the board situated so you can hold the string in the middle and hang it on your wall.
Use your choice of wall anchor to attach it to the wall and place your curios on it! See how easy this curio shelf is to build?!

Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
Andrew @ ScrappyGeek.com

• Cherie Lyons

I love the idea, I was just wondering if they could be made a longer length? My wals are pretty long in length.

• Andrew @ ScrappyGeek.com

I bet you could make them longer, depending on how long, I'd consider adding two sets of rope, one at either end. It would make it more balanced. You could also make several small ones and hang them on the wall so they compliment each other! I think that would look nice :)

• Joanie

That little kitty kat almost looks real! adorable.

• Jeanne Martin

This is great for renters. Use command hooks and to reinforce it a bit more i could put the velcro command strips on the back of the actual shelf. And I have pallets, hooks & all sizes of twine/jute. Thanks for the idea! Saved!