Mudroom Makeover Using an IKEA Hack

$700
2 Weeks
Advanced

We recently did a complete mudroom makeover using an awesome IKEA hack! We are thrilled with how our budget-friendly mudroom makeover turned out. Subscribe to A Brick Home for more DIY & decorating ideas.

We actually started out with a completely bare wall and decided to make mudroom storage on the wall, since it sits right at our side entrance. Here's the before:

This room had been a lot of things, including an office and a playroom. We were never really satisfied with it and decided that we could have better function in our home if we converted it into a mudroom. HERE'S HOW WE MADE A MUDROOM:Step 1: Built two IKEA pax wardrobesThe first step was purchasing two IKEA pax wardrobes. We bought the 93 1/8'' Pax wardrobes with the Flisberget light beige doors. These were the cheapest option I could find and the total for both wardrobes with the doors was under $500. That's a steal compared to other options that are similar sizes.

Step 2: Built a custom bench & storage cubby boxesThe next step was for Jason to built a custom bench in between the wardrobes and then the three-box cubbies at the top. To build the bench, Jason measured the distance between the two wardrobes and built a frame using 2 x 4's. Then, he covered it in MDF board.

To make the cubbies at the top, he also used MDF board.

Step 3: Built board and battenNext, Jason built a board and batten wall above the bench and then on the bench to give it a consistent look.

I painted as we went, but usually paint is the last step! I just couldn't wait! Step 4: Add crown molding, caulk & paintAdding crown molding to the top is what really makes this mudroom look like a custom built in. Caulking is super important too because it gives everything a finished look, with no gaps. I painted the entire bench, wall and cubbies white. I had to give the MDF board several coats of white paint to really cover it well.Step 5: Add hardwareI found the door handles on Amazon and they are 11.5 inches long, which are absolutely perfect for the IKEA wardrobes. They handles fit exactly next to the moldings on the door! Score!

I also found the hooks on Amazon. I used three satin nickel hooks for coat hangers.

After that, I of course decorated the space! We are so thrilled with how this project came together and didn't cost us a fortune. It is the perfect mudroom space for our family.Here's what it looks like now:

To see more photos of this space and where I got all the decorate items, visit my blog.

Marly Dice @ A Brick Home

• Kaye

This is your mudroom? I hope no one gets any mud in there because this is beautiful. Thanks