Vintage Table Remodel

$20

My mom picked up this little table at a flea market a few years back. It was cute, but with a significantly cracked veneer it needed a little work!
I started by heating the veneer with a heat gun, which melts the adhesive holding it to the piece. This makes it easier to pull off the veneer.
Then I used a putty knife to pull the veneer off of the piece.
I repeated this until most of the veneer was removed. Once the veneer was gone, I sanded the area with my orbital sander to remove any remaining adhesive or veneer. The top in particular was a bit more stuck-on and needed the sanding.
Then I painted the places where I'd removed the veneer. I used a DIY Chalk paint made out of latex paint, water, and baking soda. No matter how much I mixed, the baking soda didn't fully dissolve, leading to a bumpy finish. I wouldn't recommend it.
And my nightstand was done! If you like how it turned out, or want to learn more about removing veneer, check out the full blog post!

Lindsay Fay

• Virginia Barlow Browning

So what did you use instead of the baking soda...or did you sand it off or use milk/chalk paint???

• Pat Tatro Lieb

I use corn starch. Just put it thru a sifter first, before mixing it in the paint. Works like a charm!

• Kathy Findlay

Makes you wonder why some pieces were veneered. I like the wood on other area between the drawer and the door. Or was that wood different from the part under the old veneer?

• Jeanne Martin

Janet - I agree with you on some wood under veneer (maybe not the one in this post). I would try staining a section first and if I didn't like it then out comes the paint. Sometimes it looks great but sometimes it clashes with the remaining good veneer tho.

• Jessica

You did an amazing job! Love it.

• Heje

The drawer pulls are amazing on this piece especially the bottom one. The combination of the natural and the paint brings out the wood tones. Love it.