Old Drawer to A Storage Ottoman

$20

Hi, I'm Amber Oliver! I hope if you enjoy this project you'll check out my other upcycling projects!DIY furniture is probably one of my favorite types of projects! It's not only fun to create, but it's USEFUL! I love projects with a purpose - just like this one! I turned an old drawer from the Habitat for Humanity ReStore into a STORAGE OTTOMAN!
I found this deep drawer that was for sale at our ReStore. There's a whole section in our store that has tons of these things! I asked and they told me they are usually from demoed kitchens or from furniture that was destroyed but the drawers could be salvaged. They had a TON after Hurricane Harvey and Tropical Storm Imelda hit here in Houston.
First I removed the old hardware.
Next, I filled in the holes with wood filler, let dry, then sanded the entire drawer.
To make the lid, I measured and cut a piece of wood to fit the top. I then cut foam to fit on top of the wood.
To finish the topper, I wrapped in fabric and stapled the fabric to the board.
I added furniture feed on the bottom of the drawer then spray painted the whole thing. To help keep the top from sliding, I put a small board underneath/inside.
I hope this project inspires you to upcycle an old drawer! Click here to see how I turned another old drawer into shelves!

Amber Oliver

• Michelle

What is furniture feed ? And what did you use for legs

• Cyndi
      An hour ago

That was a typo. It should read feet. You can buy different shaped feet at Home Depot or Lowe’s or a similar store. They have metal plates that you screw down to the bottom of the box then the feet screw into little holes in the metal plates. Or you could buy hairpin style leges. They come in all sizes.

• Michelle

Also how did u put a small board underneath not sure what u mean are there any directions for this or this it

• Nick

I believe what is meant to cut a small strip of board that is the inside width of the drawer and attach on bottom of cushion to keep from sliding off. The board should be thick enough when attached to cushion to reach down into drawer like a 2x1 or so. It can be done both directions if needed making a cross on bottom of cushion