How to Make Farmhouse Style Lavender Sachets

$20

Do you love farmhouse style and lavender? I’ve got an easy pattern for you today for grain sack lavender sachets. The steps are super easy and the final sachet has a unique touch – a sweet patch that epitomizes rustic farmhouse style.
To begin, you'll need:
  • Grain Sack fabric (or similar rustic fabric for the sachet)
  • Very small swatch of complimentary fabric for a patch
  • Dried lavender. I found mine on Amazon.

Cut the grain sack fabric into 2 squares with 5" or 6" width.
Using pinking shears, cut 1 patch for each sachet from your complimentary fabric, with a size of approx. 1″ x 1 1/2″. (The pinking shears give them a fun edge).
Using a zig-zag stitch on your sewing machine, sew the small patch onto a front corner of the Right side of one of the grain sack squares.
(Don’t sew it too high in the corner, since you’ll need to leave room for the seam allowance when squares are sewn together).
Pin the Right sides of the 2 grain sack squares together, leaving one edge unpinned.
Leaving about a 2 1/2″ opening in the middle of the unpinned edge, sew a straight-edge seam about 1/4″ in around the square edges.
See photo above for sewing path, starting and ending at black dots.
  • Clip corners after sewing, then turn Right side out.
  • Press seams of sachet, making sure to turn raw edges inward.
  • Fill the sachet with dried lavender.
  • Using a Whipstitch, hand sew the opening closed.
Now package them as gifts, or have fun displaying the grain sack lavender sachets in your home.
They look lovely grouped together in a wood bowl. Have fun displaying these sachets and enjoying their lavender scent!
If you liked this craft, you may like these similar DIY projects at my blog.
And be sure to visit my blog for ' A Year of Farmhouse Crafts' free guide!

Susan - A Box of Twine

• Joan

There were many kinds of dried lavender on Amazon. Which one did you use for this project? How much dried lavender would it take to make 3-4 sachets?Thanks.

• Barbara

I don't own a sewing machine (never was any good at it). Would it be possible to use a hot glue gun to seal the edges instead of sewing it? Thx!

• Susan - A Box of Twine

That's a great idea that Rose had! For the non-sewers, iron-on seaming is a good option. I think the hot glue may also work, but perhaps you could tuck the lavender inside a zip-loc plastic or muslin drawstring bag before you insert it inside the sachet. That way if the hot glue doesn't stay put in any part of the seam, your lavender buds won't leak out.

• Jessica

Fabulous! Love this idea.

• Tammy

I love these especially the little patch-makes them even prettier! Will definitely be trying. I’m heading to your blog now! Thanks for sharing this cool idea! I love the fabric on the others too with the lace patch~~so pretty! 🤩❤️❤️❤️