Give a New Life to Your Old Cutting Board!

$3

Hello everybody !
The wooden cutting boards cost a small fortune and I can't afford to buy a new one...Especially since mine is still very solid, but it looks bad. In addition, it is made of cherry wood and they are now sold for a few hundred dollars!
I'll show you how, in just a few minutes, you can transform your old board into a brand new one!
I sanded my board with 80 grit sandpaper.I changed the paper 4 or 5 times because there was build up of oil and dust, as you can see above. Don't hesitate to change the sandpaper often to get a nice result quickly.
I sanded the grooves by wrapping my index finger in a small piece of sandpaper.
After rinsing it with plenty of water, I hung it up for a few hours to let it dry completely.
With paper towels, I generously brush the board with a mineral oil, specially designed for this purpose.
Look at the result! Pretty amazing, right??
I can't wait to invite someone over to show off my "new" cutting board!
Let me know if you will save yours too!

• Connie

How long do you wait to use it in kitchen? I’ve read where you should wait several weeks to let it cure. Thanks for sharing. I have there that I need to replenish.

• [re]FɄB19

"Circa 1850 Terra Nova NaturOil is the perfect choice for finishing wood cutting boards, butcher block, salad bowls, toys, and similar items. NaturOil is a blend of pure oils with no dyes, perfumes or additives, and is 100 percent Kosher, safe for food contact, and FDA approved."

You don't have to wait to use your cutting board. You can use this oil as often as needed to maintain the beauty of the wood.

• Luci Hedley

sorry to hear this about your coconut oil. i live in rural Queensland, where we have rather high temperatures in summer and mine has never gone rancid. however i only oil mine sparingly and only when it needs it - probably only every twelve months. i also put them in the dishwasher from time to time with no ill effects.

stay safe and good luck, Luci

• Vicky Abraham

I also put mine in dishwasher mine also sanitize it. But I pull mine out before it goes into drying cycle. I let mine air dry then I put a coat of mineral oil on it and leave it overnight and then wash it down and dry it and it is good to go.

• [re]FɄB19

I guess it depends on the oil... Some are for skin uses only, some will make you go to the bathroom ! ;) I would certainly avoid the last one ! Loll