Nightstand Refresh

$50

I was asked to paint these chest of drawers and give them a more modern fresh look as they were going to be used in a teenage girls room. Luckily I was given creative freedom after we agreed on the color scheme.
Before
I started by sanding down the top as I was going to re-stain it grey. I sanded 80, 100, 220 grit then applied general finishes grey gel stain. Follow the instructions on the can on how to apply.
Grey stain applied
Once the tops were finished I started painting. I used white paint on both chests. Rustoleum white latex paint in semi gloss was a good choice for the project.
Painted white
I didn't just want to leave them grey and white. We were going for a modern look not a farmhouse look. So I decided to spice it up with some stripes. I used frogtape to mark out my stripes
Frogtape
I used left over black paint. I believe its also rustoleum latex paint in black.
I also added a narrow grey stripe to both chest of drawers. We picked out new hardware to go with the modern look. They were matte black and from Amazon.
New hardware
To finish it up I applied water based policrylic clear coat for a durable finish
Policrylic
I think it's a great transformation and these chest of drawers can be enjoyed for a long time in a new modern decor. You can refurbish items you already have in your home. A decor update doesn't have to be too expensive. If you like this transformation and want to see more follow me on Instagram @andreapalmai

• Karen

did you sand the whole chest or just the top

• D

Very sharp! Yes i am also wondering if you sanded the whole chest in order to paint it? If not, how did you prep it to accept the latex paint? Ty!

• Andrea Palmai

It is holding up 6 months now. Now problem. Poly on the top only.

• Where did you get pictures at I like

• Joye R. Foster

It looks modern and great. The wood was beautiful too.

• Heje

I could see another strip of gray on the other side of the black. I really like it!