Wood Candle Holders

$0

I’m finally sharing my wood candle holder DIY project! I’m SO excited because I LOVE how these candle holders turned out! It was very easy to make, but I couldn’t have done it without the help of my husband and his power tools. If you have access to some tools, you should definitely consider making these!

Find more great DIY Home Decor and Renovation ideas on our blog, Love Create Celebrate!

I love the look of rustic candlesticks! I kept seeing similar wooden ones in stores and wanting to buy them, but y husband kept reminding me how easy they are to make! I'm so happy we finally took the time to make some.

Step 1: Find a log. I wanted one that was about 3 inches in diameter. We are lucky enough to live in the country, so we were able to find an old log just sitting in our back woods.

Step 2: Cut the candle holders to size. I used a miter saw for this, by marking where I wanted to cut and then cutting it. You need to make sure that your log is either clamped down while cutting, or held very tight, because most logs are not perfectly straight and can shift on you while you try to cut. Wear the appropriate eye protection too!

I chose to make my candle holders about 5 inches tall. Remember to let the wood dry first, if you cut down a live tree log.

Step 3: Mark the centre on the top of the 5″ pieces then drill down about half way (2.5″). We used a drill press for this. Whether you are using this tool, or a hand drill, make sure that your log is clamped down properly.

Step 4: Sand the tops, bottoms, and insides of your candlesticks. You may need to just use folded sandpaper to sand the inside properly.

Step 5: Add acrylic sealer to the outside to give it some shine, and prevent it from rotting.

I’m so happy with how they turned out! They are unique pieces that literally cost me NOTHING because we had all the tools already, and the log was from mother nature.

Each piece shows off its own unique knots and twists in the bark. I used them for my Thanksgiving tablescape last year and everyone loved them. They are also an easy project to bulk make! I made a few at once and saved some to give away as Christmas gifts!

Love Create Celebrate

• Dbs

Don’t you think you should line them with aluminum foil so the wood doesn’t catch fire?

• Cj Barwin

If you extinguish the candle before it burns all the way down, there's no flame touching the wood.

• Laurie

Do you have to use birch? We recently had a plum tree die and we have a stack of beautiful logs - could I use those?

• Jenny Abercrombie
    An hour ago

Any other tree I could use

• Andi Kessler

made these for Christmas gifts this past December. Used limb from my dead Weeping Birch. They turned out beautiful. Everyone (even the guys) were impressed when they found out I’d made them from my beautiful Birch.

I included LED tea lights with them. Also, did not decorate them so they can be used all the time, just change decorations around them.

• Kara Wurtzel

Gorgeous! (Dogs AND project!)